New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I load these hulls?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a whole bunch of hulls from those cheap federal and winchester shells that comes in a big box containing 4 boxes of 25s for $15 from walmart. I can't find any load data for these types of hulls so are they even reloadable? If so, what powder and wads will work with them? Thanks.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Most of the powder mfg'er's have loads for them-- poly Reifenhauser hulls are not the best; I used to reload Top Guns once, then toss them-- but, no more.

But, yes, they are reloadable, and Alliant / Hodgdon / etc. etc. all publish data.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried all the modern variations, BUT while those type hulls are reloadable they don't have the plastic "memory" that better hulls like AA, STS, etc do. They have a marked tendency for the crimp to open up, especially in hot weather. If you're going to load some and immediately go shoot them up as "shoot and poppers" at clays of some description, they are OK, but in general, I'd avoid them.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
The Winchester hull is a PolyFormed hulls
The Federal hull is the Hi Hower , also labled as a Estate brand hull

I load the Federal Hi Power hull 1 time .
Makes a great 1 oz steel shot load

Because the Winchester Polyformed hull crushes so easly and the general lack of load data I don't normaly load it .
Also the basewad has a nasty habbit of coming loose .
But it dose make a very good hull for 1 1/2 oz load

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im not up on what the red federal "ribbed" shell is in the last few years but they were good for reloading a couple times at least. Same base wad hieght as the AA. I used to load heavy chukar type loads in them.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yes on the Fed (Federal with Paper Basewad listings). Use Fed wads or clones (i.e. not the wads for tapered hulls).

The Wins will drive you to drink. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Estate/Federals are acceptable in a 28 gauge. I load them once and use them for things like quail hunting where you're more likely to lose your spent shell. I save my good shells like AA's for targets and doves where they are easily recovered.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote