New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutts Comps?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I noticed that Brownells still sells Cutts Comps.

How many people still use or install them? I thought those died off years ago.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've got a cutts on a model 12 20 ga.... gun was built in 1937, stock has been cut to fit a kid, i still use it on clays, will restock it if i could find the wood.... it was the gun i dreamed of owning when i was 10.... in 1968...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cutts compensator has ruined many a shooter's hearing. It not only directs much of the muzzle blast back toward the shooter, but also effectively moves it closer to the ear. They were a bad idea then, and a bad idea now.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I'm with Stonecreek on this one. If god wanted me to have a potato on the end of my barrel he'd invent spud guns that could shoot ducks. Those things are responsible for more ruined Model 12s than everything else put together

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
When I shot four Rem 1100s for skeet, the 12 and 20 had Cutts on them. Recoil and muzzle rise was reduced. Patterns were very good. Sound to me was reduced, but my squadmates complained. I now shoot a Beretta 682 with Briley subgauge tubes so can't have the Cutts.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I still shoot a Cutts Comp on my 1100. I put it there about 1970, and have never had any complaint with it. It allowed me to change chokes reasonably quickly, and does seem to reduce recoil.

CDD

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is advantageous to have a discussion about Cutts Compensators or other types of muzzle brakes via computer. This same group talking about it on the phone would have a tough time understanding one another Big Grin.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Group of trap (and Cutts Compensator) shooters sitting around after a shoot......

First Shooter: "Sure is windy today."

Second Shooter: "No, it ain't, it's Thursday."

Third Shooter (me): "Me too, let's go get a beer."

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fourth, me: "Not the bear season".

Big Grin

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
i've got a cutts on a model 12 20 ga.... gun was built in 1937, stock has been cut to fit a kid, i still use it on clays, will restock it if i could find the wood.... it was the gun i dreamed of owning when i was 10.... in 1968...

Have you tried Gun Parts Company? They have a set made by Sile.