New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet count in turkey load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not specifically a reloading question, but who would know the answer to this better than you reloaders.....

I patterned my SBEII w/ factory full the other night.......3.5"/ #5 / 2oz@1300fps.....27 yds. >200 pellets inside the circle and I'd say 100? outside. How many pellets are in those shells????

And yes, that set up packs a freakin' wallop! I can shoot 3.5"s all day duck hunting and not flinch.....guarantee when I unload on a tom I won't feel it either though.

Just curious about the pellet content. bewildered

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are looking at 340 pellets assuming an average of 170 #5 per ounce.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
How big was the circle?

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton -- If your patterning your turkey loads here's a turkey load article you might be interested in reading.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/turkey_loads.htm

Posts: 61 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
My Benelli will put between 155 - 185 #6s in a paper plate at 40 yds consistently. That is with Winchester 1 3/4 oz 3" Supreme Shells.

Based on my experience I think that the wildlife department study is a little conservative.

7 1/2 size pure lead shot will out penetrate copper plated 6's at 30 yds in my tests. I used to use 7 1/2's in an old 2 3/4" chamber shotgun with great results.

You need to shoot every Turkey load available to determine the best load for any particular gun. Just like rifles they are all individuals.

My particular Benelli patterns the Win 1 3/4 oz loads better then the 1 7/8 or 2 oz loads.

Just my experiences.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"7 1/2 size pure lead shot will out penetrate copper plated 6's at 30 yds in my tests" -- What kind of test did you conduct to get these results?

Posts: 61 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting a 3 1/2 12ga or a 10ga?

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote