THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    Most defects ever on my 2000 Boxster S.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most defects ever on my 2000 Boxster S.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Repeat of a new entry to my other older '89 Bronco discussion . Welll......the '89 Bronco came with numerous problems and was sold after lots of rust/steel work, paint work (local shop botched the hood paint terribly. So I stripped to bare metal and did it myself to 99% perfection) and a tune up, oil leaks etc. Actually made a little bit on it not including a dime for my time.

Bought a 2000 Boxster S through a Bring A Trailer auction. Gezzis crackers! Worst car ever and most dishonest dealer ever. I'll end up losing $5,000 minimum. It was my fault for not sending Lemon Squad to look at it first. That's gonna sting a bit. Oh well. It's the yellow one with 38K miles on Ebay, ends Friday. So, how was your day, month or year with cool cars?
I could use a chat from our readers who have had a positive experience.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you pour money into the Boxster,check out the Intermediate bearing. (IMB0 It can be a problem, and if it goes tango uniform,you get to buy a whole brand-new engine, cases and all.
(Ask me how I know.) 99 Boxster a few years ago with about the same mileage as yours - rev, rev - Bang!

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks poprivit. I'm aware of the IMS bearing issues. Your's is the only one I am aware of that went 30+K miles before toasting itself. Most failures occur between 5K miles and 15K miles according to Sun Porsche.
BTW, too late for the "before". I have over 20K into it. Just sold it on Ebay for $14K. Hope the guy actually pays for it now. There are dozens and dozens of 2000-2002 Boxsters and Boxster S's out there for sale. Hope this sale sticks.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You gonna' get yourself one of them slow 911 GT-3 RS thingamabobs to play with now?

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Maybe two.

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
For Porsche, the IMS or Intermediate Shaft Syndrome issue lost Stuttgart money, then lost permanent customers, and finally bad will. The Turbo 911s were never affected. Porsche outsourced some bearing parts.
From about 1996 until 2007, IMS/ISS resulted in total engine failure. BMW stands behind their cars, Porsche not so much. Many old line new car-a-year
Porsche fans walked away-permanently.
I had a 1956-356 Porsche and a 64 E-Type roadster Jaguar, so don't have a dog in this hunt. My last middle age exp was a unique
Shelby-styled AC Cobra properly set up.
After enjoying it for a bit-it went to a Canadian banker. Think I will stick to my older BMW bikes-safer.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
For some reason, Bring A Trailer auctions go way higher than what most cars go on other platforms - almost as if they bid up themselves.
The site used to be cool, as the name suggests, but just recently they refused to list my Peerless GT which is in genuine "bring a trailer" condition.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I sold a '89 Bronco on BaT. Did OK. Not great. But, when I inquired about the deep body dent on the "S" they said, there it is right in the picture which was faint at best. Buyer beware, ignore the "honest" claims. Pro check warranted. This one got by me.

2000 Porsche defects with results. * designates unremedied.
1. Numerous small dents, one large 12" X 12" dent in fender. All removed with paintless dent repair.
2. Two gouges in paint down to the primer. Professional spot repair suitable. Very Good.
3. Boxster emblem on trunk broken. Missing area was formed and surfaced by owner. FAIR to good.
4. *Right side body color not a suitable match. Needed a bit more orange tint in the base coat. Gloss matches factory paint perfect.
5. Faulty brake line, collapsed liner at left rear. Replaced. New Porsche shop fluid flush completed.
6. Rear window encrusted with dirt, very cloudy and opaque. Cleaned, buffed and re-sealed. Very good
7. Battery completely worn out. Replaced with Premium Napa unit.
8. Severe water leak at passenger side interior firewall at gasket. Resealed. Excellent.
9. Console compartment lid hinge broken. Replaced with heavy duty unit.
10. Most all wood trim either completely detached or cracked. Removal and epoxy reattachment completed. FAIR to very good.
11. Leather on seat and door panels, lightly stained and or lightly worn with fine cracks. Extensively color matched. Was FAIR now VERY GOOD++.
12. *Air Bag light is on. Not serviced. Unknown cause or remedy.
13. *Cruise control inoperable. Checked switch and end of stalk, lost parts. Unknown cause or remedy.
14. Radio code in with books incorrect. Works 100%.
15. L.H. Dash vent directional vane missing. Replaced and re-dyed. Very Good.
16. *Starter is worn at Bendix, screeches at startup. Reman starter acquired. Not installed.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Fuck dude. I guess caveat emptor has new meaning for you.

So sorry to hear that.

Not a fan of used cars. Especially sports cars as you know they've been driven hard. (At least don't buy any from me.) My colleague is always on BAT, has 20+ old model sports cars from his youth (80s) Lancias, Alfas, Porche, Lotus, etc. Not for me.

I've gotten really lucky in the only 2 I've ever bought.

I bought a '16 GT3RS with 250 mi on it. Was some trophy wife's in Dallas. Paid less than sticker as the dot 2s had just came out and were 70 over sticker. I tracked it & put 6,000 mi (of it's 6700 mi) at COTA. Sold it for what I paid and bought a '17 AM Vanquish. Had only 2800 miles/was a Palm Springs winter car. Now my blue weather daily driver.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
New meaning not. So sorry, late reply FMC. Keep me posted on the Vanquish. You know, glitches, gremlins if any. Saved a bunch of $$$ looking in person or using Lemon Squad. Buyer fever got me this time I guess. Imagine the shame. The S goes to local auction this spring. Time to take the hit and move on which is a shame. Runs and tracks 100%, smoke free in and out. Happy Motoring!

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Porsche may be in my rear window view...
I got the 356 just before heading to Vietnam. Should have kept it.

Just found a 1970 E-Type in collection belonging to a disabled mechanic. It went to NY and I got a finders fee.

Think I will stick to BMWs.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote