Find
Notify
Tools

267 mph car
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
To quote the old Holman-Moody NASCAR sales slogan, the Porsche is "Competition Proven." Strip them both back to stock and it is a different story. Both those cars on SpeedTV had been through tuner shops. There is no real way to compare them or the quality of the work, parts, engineering and research the tuners used. Unfortunately, most supercars are are faster overall in their unaltered form. As I learned when I worked for Saleen, tuners sell more magazines than complete cars. And the magazines are happy to return the favor by pushing the tuner's parts.

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Ted. they were pushing Michelin tires, but not aware that they were custom tuned. Still, that GT-R is a fine looking vehicle. Any idea about reliability?
I posted about this car some time ago. Still hoping to get one before my wife spends all the money!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
Nissan has designed a hell of a fast car there. But they are proving problematic. Edmunds.com has one on long term test. Read the blog there. Decide for yourself. Or search "nissan gtr reliability."

Like I mentioned in the Ferrari post, there are many great, collectible ways to go fast for less than $30K--especially under $50K--most of them easier to deal with than the Hallowed-Name cars or the new hot-shots.

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow,

where do you categorize the Shelby Mustangs? I have been thru their plant, and they are basically "hand made, one at a time".

Bugatti builds one a month, and they are backordered almost three years.

The opinion that most "tuner cars" are slower than they were before they got remodeled is going to surprise a lot of folks. Especially since the road test reports are available in the back of R&T and C&D. Generally, numbers don't lie.

Just admit it guys, these cars, like Playmates; are out of our reach financially.
But, they are certainly wonderful to read about and admire.

I got an old Jaguar XK-8 convertible. It is a joy just to walk out to the garage and look at it, let alone take it out for a little spin.
Next week, I am driving it all the way to St Louis for a Cardinals ballgame, then to Branson, MO, for my Army Ranger Company Reunion. Then, back to Idaho.
The trip itself is going to be darn near as much fun as the game and reunion. Top down, radio blasting, just feeling the pleasure that comes from a DOHC V-8 that will rev to 6800rpm every now and then if I ask it to.

Life is good...

Rich
Sua Sponte

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mustangs of any type or year are not sports cars...they are (in some tuner models) fairly quick passenger cars. That's why they have a back seat. Sports cars are not designed with back seats..they are two seaters (sometimes a one seater even). That's like saying a 4 door Chevelle is a muscle car Smiler

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

THIS GETS MY VOTE....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Great jumpin jehosephat! Thats fast!

I managed 122 with 42lbs of boost and only 470hp, but I am limited to 3500RPM...supposedly.

Drew must be one of those pickup drivers my old 320 HP 1999 Cobra leaves behind as road kill.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I talked to this guy on the phone and he didn't know where that wonderful stretch of Volete to Lime Creek Road is.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had work cars that would do over 160MPH, and I have driven 2 different Ford Panatera's that did 185+, all on Public streets...

I can only imagine what 260+ would be like.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The Veyron needs that much power to go that fast because it is heavy.
The engine isn't that powerful for its displacement either. Only 148hp per liter.

By contrast, the Lancia LC2 of the early 80's produced 265hp per liter albeit as a factory racing car. It was said to hit 246mph in its fastest qualifying form at LeMans. Now, the Mulsanne is a long straight without the chicane but not the five mile long straight that the VW test track has.
Think of that though for a second. That was 30 years ago!!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Sports cars are not designed with back seats..they are two seaters (sometimes a one seater even).

Thats just plain silly talk. You saying that the 911 or the new ferrari ff aint a sports car?

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Sports cars are not designed with back seats..they are two seaters (sometimes a one seater even).

Thats just plain silly talk. You saying that the 911 or the new ferrari ff aint a sports car?

Woodrow also forgets that some fastback Mustangs did not have a back seat and were in fact two seaters.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 2008 Lamborghini LP 640. This car was FAST! I had the opportunity to ride in a Veyron once. There is no comparison. If the Lambo was scary, the Veyron was terrifying.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing about the Veyron, as opposed to most of the tuner cars that have an "estimated" top speed higher than the Bugatti; there are probably a couple million people who have seen its' top speed is verified.

There's a silly company in Texas that is asking over a million dollars for a Lotus with about two extra feet added on the back and a big block chevy. They run full page ads in DuPont Registry claiming theirs is faster, but no independent confirmation to date.
genuine 200mph cars are rare. The Shelby is the only one less than $300K I know of.

They are fun to read about, though.

Larry,

when your Aventador gets here will you take me for a ride?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich:

After 4 Lambos and reaching the tender age of 57, my exotic car days are over I am sad to say. When I get to the office, I will post a picture of my last one.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Limits to everything. Those tires on the Bugatti are $30K a set and last 6000 miles. Have only a few spots in the USA that are certified to balance them. Car is heavy and goes + 250 MPH.
Just operating the car costs a fortune.
Hyabusa's going +225??? Hope you are taping a "blowout" at that speed. No road bike tires rated to go that fast. Perhaps drag tires???
Better have ALL the parts of the puzzle. Stresses on the frame/body, brakes, lift. Side windows may blow out. A lot to think about at those speeds.
Better not hit anything either (rabbit in the road); Call the coroner.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
c'mon Larry. 57 ain't old. I have blue jeans your age!

Buy the Aventador. I'll drive down and you can let me drive it around for a couple days. Then you turn it for a hundred grand profit. I have seen six for sale in DuPont Registry, and all were marked up (low mile used ones)at half a million dollars.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pics:

Check out my license plate!

Rich, I should add that mine have always been shitty investments, particularly the one above. I bought it in less than 30 days before the big meltdown started.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'd rather have a Cummins Dodge (not "Ram") that would turn a 9 second 1/4 mile.
(They exist). Lots more opportunities to eat the lunch of wannabe street racers as well as blanketing them in pounds of nasty black stuff.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote