Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone drive a CLS63 AMG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
I looked at a 2014 CLS63 S AMG The other day. The car handles razor sharp, very fast and its easy to love. Fully optioned.
The reason it's not in my garage is because of the road noise that enters the cabin. I know it has wide low profile (30) tires that contribute some of the noise. It's to bad Mercedes couldn't have put some more insulation around the cabin.
I think after a day of driving I would regret the purchase.
I still really, really want it!

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use ear protection.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it. To be honest it's more car than I can handle but it sure is fun. It doesn't have the Mercedes ride and quiet than you might expect. It's scary fast and corners like it's on rails. In summary it's a race car in street trim.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Dave
I agree. A little more noise than I expected.
Everything else I love. I don't think its going anywhere soon. So, I'm still thinking.
I can always turn up the Bang & Olufsen. That and the exhaust notes are worth the price.

thanks

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If the noise is coming through the wheel wells, spray them with a sound deadener. If it's coming from underneath the car, add a layer or two of B-Quiet Ultimate under the carpeting.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Turbochargers can be noisy. The normally aspirated versions made through 2011 are plenty fast and quieter. And much better looking, too.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but you are looking at a car that has a reputation of sounding like a hungry black hole at full throttle...

like the original engine wasn't enough...

We are talking about the twin turbo V12?
or the twin turbo V8?

Either way it makes Chryslers "Hellcat" look like a cheap & underpowered wanna-be...

You must put up with some noise in a car that will lap the Nortschlief in ~7min...

You realize that AMG has an automatic perfume dispenser, right?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
My daily driver is a 2016 S 550 Coupe. (my 12th MB) I've had S 430, S 550 and S 55 sedans so I'm kinda cigar smoking fat cat biased when it comes to 4 doors. I bought my son a 2014 CLS550. To me that car is more sporty than comfort. Not at all the comfort of an S class. IMO a lot of road noise while cruising. Not as bad as my 911, but not S class quiet. (Disregarding of course the throatier exhaust of AMGs in general.)

FWIW you can Renntech the twin turbos to near AMG levels for under 3 grand.

The CLS is a nice car, well behaved, well balanced and just a nice sporty sedan. You can't go wrong with it. Good luck.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
I looked at a 2014 CLS63 S AMG The other day. The car handles razor sharp, very fast and its easy to love. Fully optioned.
The reason it's not in my garage is because of the road noise that enters the cabin. I know it has wide low profile (30) tires that contribute some of the noise. It's to bad Mercedes couldn't have put some more insulation around the cabin.
I think after a day of driving I would regret the purchase.
I still really, really want it!

The car isn't loud by any reasonable standard unless you're referring to the exhaust note when you're foot's in it. If you're hearing a lot of road noise, you need new or better tires. Kung-Foo class tires will always sound like you're driving an ag tractor. Michelin Pilots properly balanced will solve that and make sure NOT to buy run flats. Otherwise, a CLS 550 might be a better choice for you - softer sprung, squishier tires, less engine noise, etc. Oh, the back tires tend to fail on impacts with potholes - which is inconvenient and expensive.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
If the noise is coming through the wheel wells, spray them with a sound deadener. If it's coming from underneath the car, add a layer or two of B-Quiet Ultimate under the carpeting.

George

Yeah, gitcha some curb feelers and a white landau roof too.

rotflmo

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Yeah, but you are looking at a car that has a reputation of sounding like a hungry black hole at full throttle...

like the original engine wasn't enough...

We are talking about the twin turbo V12?
or the twin turbo V8?

Either way it makes Chryslers "Hellcat" look like a cheap & underpowered wanna-be...

You must put up with some noise in a car that will lap the Nortschlief in ~7min...

You realize that AMG has an automatic perfume dispenser, right?

AD

Yup, it's the V18 quad turbo, mounted transversely in the back. With the 7 speed E-Box you can program the gears to work backwards when you switch the BAS off with the ESP on. Only problem is the perfume comes out backwards too.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Huh?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eh?