New
Find
Notify
Tools

'02 Z06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got my car back out of the shop, twice, for the same problem. Anyone else have this happen. "Service Collumn Lock"?

Steering column locked up tight, not jammed, had to have it towed and not an easy job to get it out of the garage with the wheel cranked full left so I could tuck it up against the wall. First time it was just release and lube, and it happened again a week later. This time it was a wiring harness. No warranty! WTF, there was a recall in '04 and it was done before I bought the car.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughters have had this happen until I taught them what they were doing wrong. If you shut the thing down with a load on the steering wheel it puts the load on the column lock. To unlock it you need to twist the steering wheel before you try to turn the key.

Otherwise do NOT park it with the front wheels held in position by the steering wheel- that is you cannot shut it down with a load on the front wheels from parking or from the steering wheel.

What you are doing is related to your parking maneuver to get close to the wall. I have done it myself but it is easy to prevent and not to hard to get out of if you understand how the column lock works.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I just got my car back out of the shop, twice, for the same problem. Anyone else have this happen. "Service Collumn Lock"?

Steering column locked up tight, not jammed, had to have it towed and not an easy job to get it out of the garage with the wheel cranked full left so I could tuck it up against the wall. First time it was just release and lube, and it happened again a week later. This time it was a wiring harness. No warranty! WTF, there was a recall in '04 and it was done before I bought the car.

Jim

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear what you are saying, but. The first time it happened, the wheels were cranked hard left, to the stop. The second time, I made sure they were pointing straight ahead and it locked up again.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best solution Jim is for you to get one of those C7 Z06s.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Try doing or have someone do the column lock bypass. Check corvette forum for more info.

Bob

Posts: 22 | Location: Crestview FL | Registered: 12 July 2007Reply With Quote