THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    Proof I became the wrong sort of Doctor.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proof I became the wrong sort of Doctor.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted
So, my wife and I are visiting her OB/GYN the other day (she is due in July) and, at the very beginning of the appointment, I notice his computer desktop is a glossy commercial photo of a 300SL Gullwing. I say "nice desktop". He then smiles and casually says "Ya, I'm restoring one". Appointment officially postponed! He and I spent the next 40 minutes talking about his project, his finding the car in Egypt (one of two), his ordering of replacement parts from Europe and literally having friends who travel bring them back in suitcases to avoid customs, the fact that the mechanical elements of the car were complete when he found it, and basically his very slow process of re-assembling history. Of course, I had to ask the bold question..."Can I drive it pre-paint"? AFFIRMATIVE! Hope to post photos of that someday! Eventually my wife had to interrupt us with, "Uh, can we get back to the baby now?!?!?!"

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and would love to see the photos.

"his finding the car in Egypt" Wow, i like to hear stories like that.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
He and I both currently live in Egypt. There were apparently two of these cars in the country from the old days. One belonged to an oil executive living in the then very plush suburb of Maadi. That car was apparently restored and eventually exported years ago. This means that my docs car is the only 300SL in Egypt and, let's face it, probably the only one in most if not all of North and Cental Africa. He found it in Southern Egypt of all places. I imagine it was a very interesting conversation trying to explain to his wife the price paid for a rusty hunk of non-running automotive history.
dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to an ENT that had a 3/4" thick magazine called Yachting out on the tables in his office.

He apparently needed a conveyor belt to run the kids through for removing tonsils. He had 2 women just scheduling surgery.

I wanted to schedule with him just before the holidays just to avoid missing so much work.

Noooooo the doctor had a skiing trip already planned. Noooooo I said and never went back.

He never missed my money.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote