THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    Cars that impressed the girls in the 50's.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cars that impressed the girls in the 50's.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the 1950's few of us of high school age had cars. Not everyone even had a drivers license.

One of the girls in our class was a pretty blonde. She met up with a guy who was older and drove a MG TD.

It was a red convertible. Not much was more cool than that back then.

Oh were we jealous. We had to ride the bus home!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how do you reconcile this post with the statement you made crapping all over Friar's Bugeye Sprite?

I'm honestly just curious. MPD?

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
50`s car to impress high school girls? No-brainer. `57 Olds Rocket 88 convertible. Impress your friends with the J2 package. Worked just fine in the 60`s, too.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Summer, 1965: I am making (to start)a whopping 90-cents an hour riding a tractor up and down milo fields. After a week or so, I get bumped to a buck, and (pre-child labor laws) am putting in about sixty hours a week.

Towards end of summer, I start talking cars with my Father. He had a friend from church that was trading in an absolutely gorgeous black over white two-tone '57 Ford two door hardtop. Ford garage offered him a pittance trade-in. It cost me $300.

School starts, and I am an outstanding sophmore with a hundred bucks (most of the time) in my pocket, and a fine set of wheels. I went from not making the cut to leading the tournament. Then, as now, the ladies focused primarily on guys with neat wheels and money to spend.

It was a wonderful time back then...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sorry, you'd have to ask my mother.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father owned a 55 Chevy.He later had his eye on a 56 Thunderbird but he told me he could not afford it.I find those two really impressive.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

I remember graduating from HS in 1967. About three months later Plymouth introduces the Road Runner. Mine was blood red coupe, bench seat, column torqueflite, PS, PB and an AM radio. The msrp was a staggering $2916 on the sticker. 335 Horse, and a 3:91 posi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
column torqueflite

Column Torqueflite? Not the 4 on the floor with the Hurst shifter? What a HOMO!!!!! :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
column torqueflite

Column Torqueflite? Not the 4 on the floor with the Hurst shifter? What a HOMO!!!!! :-)

Hey Biebs - why are chicks impressed with cars ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're material girls?

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're material girls?

Cool

One thing for sure - taxidermy and pictures with dead animals don't attract the girls.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In your case, it would take LOTS of money :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta,

because they can't screw at their parents house, and HS guys don't have their own place either. It's the car or celibacy...

NOTE: the torqueflite cars were faster off the line, and in the quarter. And, you don't get to spend the weekend sticking a new clutch in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In your case, it would take LOTS of money :-)

You are a mean person Biebs !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gotta understand, with Biebs the celibacy is NOT by choice...

:>Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I understand that the term "Wanker" was not coined in Africa until after your first safari? :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
Going to a country school in small town Texas, my 50 blue Chev with primer spots got me by in 60&61.
Damn thing cost me $35 and had a naugahyde front seat cover. Took me a year to save enough money to cover the rear.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch,

be happy, it could have come from some elderly couple who covered the seats in that clear bubble vinyl...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad wasn't elderly at the time, but it was on his car seats. Very popular in the late 50s and early 60s. I didn't like them, but factory seats didn't last long.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they were good for second-degree burns on younger kids who got taken to Church in shorts...

I say elderly, but my Grandparents were in their early forties in 1957-60.