Find
Notify
Tools

Dyno testing new Hemi build
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
Redid the 528 Hemi with the goal of having a mild street engine with 700 horsepower. With some custom work and a mild solid roller cam, we achieved 702 horses with 657 lb. ft. of
torque.Spent all day friday at the dyno working out carb issues with the two 800 cfm Edelbrock AFB's. Should have nice street manners and put the 69 Plymouth Satellite solidly in the 10's with 3.73 gears and still run the A/C. Can't wait to get her in the car!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
would that engine fit in my Jaguar XK-8?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Gas mileage ? sofa

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
When I built her the first time, I had a crossram intake with two 770 cfm Holleys on it and drove it from Houston to Detroit and back for the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise. With the A/C running and cruising at a steady 65, she got 8-9 mpg ! Rich, I think this mill is almost as big as your Jag!!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

Have you ever thought of using a CUMMINS? shocker

Have no idea what she runs in the 1/4, but I have 3.73 use my a/c all the time. Remind me of the formula for calculating torque and I'll get the specs on my latest upgrade.
SMARTY numbers are to the ground guaranteed.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few crossram intakes converted to EFI that worked very well.
It might be worth considering in the future.

Congratz on a nice build. tu2

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I was watching the Mecum Auto Auction on TV today when a 1970 Charger pro tourer with a supercharged 528 crossed the block, developing 1100 hp. One beautiful vehicle.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heavy Barrel
posted Hide Post
How about a 572 !! Big Grin

Posts: 88 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
<huge smile!!!> Lovely fun!

My last Roadrunner was fitted with a 0.050" over 440 built in a real Max Wedge configuration.

Hemi crank knife-edged and rebalanced. 6 pack rods ground, polished, match weighed, magnafluxed, and the little end bushed. Forged pistons. Rockers ground, polished, match weighted, magnafluxed, and spaced on the tubes with shims.

Block prepped with all of the oiling ports worked.

Real 426 Wedge Stage III heads with
original aluminum staggered dual 4 intake manifold. Oil return surfaced on the outside of the top of the heads polished instead of epoxied. Ran two 750 AFBs.

Gold box connected to a hemi tach drive distributor (with the bottom adapted to fit an RB block).

Custom cam profile' decent at low end on the street ... came alive at 3500 and went to 9k like a rocket. Used 8k for every day redline, 9k for a push.

Ran headers with Hemi mufflers on large tubes.

4 speed with a 10.5" racing clutch, red line gears, and a 3.55 rear end.

Had to connect the stub frames to keep the chassis from twisting (found out the hard way!).

Used hemi torsion bars and ADCO anti-sway and anti-roll bars in the suspension. The car would actually corner!

Was a wonderful grocery getter ... made a spectacular sound. Once ate a Shelby GT500 KR from a 60 mph punch. My RR spun the rear wheels on the 3rd to 4th shift at over 115 mph. The KR got very small in the rear view mirror very quickly! Never saw him again.

Once lunched a Turbo Porche Carrera in the turns ... very much to his surprise!

Mileage was better than the hemi and performance was special ... damn I miss those days!!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is sure some fantasy jerking going on here.
8K RPM to 9K RPM, a cornering Road Runner out cornering a Porsche. Give us a break.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuckle if you want ... you're absolutely free to do that!

I can still hear it rev. Was not the recording equipment available then, so I can't prove it to you. But probably couldn't even if you saw it happen. Just as a pic doesn't prove either of these are real:

and they're parked in the garage now.

I put over 60k miles on that RR engine on two rebuilds with complete bearing changes ... and my youngest son has it sitting on a stand to some day go into a car for himself.

Cheers!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heavy Barrel
posted Hide Post
At 9K,I would sure love to see the cam specs.You could have done better by dumping the heavy 6pk rods and using the YL's.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
There is sure some fantasy jerking going on here.
8K RPM to 9K RPM, a cornering Road Runner out cornering a Porsche. Give us a break.

No fantasy jerking here. Bring that Porsche on down here -- just don't make me turn a corner! Big Grin

Very nice, Lee -- post up some photos of your elephant!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:

I can still hear it rev. Was not the recording equipment available then, so I can't prove it to you. But probably couldn't even if you saw it happen. Just as a pic doesn't prove either of these are real:

I put over 60k miles on that RR engine on two rebuilds with complete bearing changes ... and my youngest son has it sitting on a stand to some day go into a car for himself.

Cheers!

I don't see a Roadrunner anywhere nor have you provided any real back up that you engine saw 8K a single time. I have some experience with DOHC engines. I don't think your cam is going to last with the spring pressures required by a pushrod engine. On the other hand it not a big deal to turn 6500 right out of the box with over head cams.
As far as your photos, go good luck with the how to book and the ball peen hammer.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heavy Barrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Cheers!

I don't see a Roadrunner anywhere nor have you provided any real back up that you engine saw 8K a single time. I have some experience with DOHC engines. I don't think your cam is going to last with the spring pressures required by a pushrod engine. On the other hand it not a big deal to turn 6500 right out of the box with over head cams.
As far as your photos, go good luck with the how to book and the ball peen hammer.

And if he would have dumped the heavy 6pk rods,he may have got to 10K. Eeker.And the Hemi tach drive distributor is a drop in on a RB block,I could find a few more things to correct but nuff said ! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Heavy Barrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heavy Barrel:
quote:
quote:

Cheers!

Like I said,if he would have dumped the heavy 6pk rods,he may have got to 10K. Eeker.And the Hemi tach drive distributor is a drop in on a RB block,I could find a few more things to correct but nuff said ! Big Grin