Find
Notify
Tools

MGA- anyone have one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
About 10 years ago I bought one, a 1600. It was my first restoration and in retrospect I restored what was really a parts car. I got about 90% of the way through a painstaking frame off restoration and had to sell due to a cross country move to a place without a garage.
Feels like I've left unfinished business and I'd love to find another (already restored this time).

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Never owned an A, just wasn't crazy about the body style. Did own a B though. My Brother once owned an MGA coupe that was a pretty nice looking car.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a 1962 MkII for 33 years. It becomes an antique in our state this year. I bought a solid car that needed a lot of work and a parts car together for $600. I have had it so long I have rebuilt it twice, the second time a frame off. The parts car I slightly modified with a Chevy 302 Z28 spec motor. Took a lot of fabrication, with the radiator and electric fan horizontal in the back and the fuel tank relocated. Made the mistake of using too light model of a TH tranny, and twisted the input shaft off when trying it out. Before the tranny junked, it would do 0-100 in about 5 seconds. Unfortunately, the chassis flexed so much that both doors would come open on hard braking. Ended up swapping in a Muncie 4-speed and putting the drive drain in a Cobra kit car.

One little known fact. A Chevy small block with solid non ruber mounts will bolt directly to the MGA/MGB frame mounts with no changes, and they fit perfectly.

I always liked the A. It was maybe the last true production roadster vs convertible sold in the US. The lotus 7 and the later morgans may have been the only others.

I was kinda shocked when I saw a couple of years ago that the MGA is still being run in SCCA production classes. The last numbers I saw listed the MGA's lapping mid-Ohio at the 120-130 MPH range. This is pretty good for a production car that just hit 100 mph when new.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine drove a fully restored 60 MGA when we were in high school in the mid 80s. He had to park on hills or risk push starting about 25% of the time. His dad had a nice 52 TD.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote