Notify
Tools

285 mph on a motorcycle!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://news.yahoo.com/fla-moto...lBHB0A3BtaA--;_ylv=3
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, that looks like a motorcycle...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
285 on a bike sure is exciting, at least once. I think that Honda's new 135mph LAWN MOWER (1000cc V twin) would be a hoot to drive. its just to bad that it only cuts grass up to 15mph. dancing

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Mallory's attempt on Everest, it does not really count for much if you don't make it back.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like Mallory's attempt on Everest, it does not really count for much if you don't make it back.

I think the comparison with Mallory is inappropriate, but let's run with it.
100 years later, one cannot talk about Everest without thinking and talking about George Mallory! And this wasn't engineered by "the media". Something about attempting and failing appeals to the common man who realizes that second best is still better than all those thousands who just stand on the sidelines and throw stones at those who attempt to break boundaries.
The rider had already reached 300 mph as I understand it, and was trying to accomplish it again in a shorter distance. A more appropriate comparison might be with Sir Donald Campbell. Look him up! I grew up in those days. He failed as well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xemKc2In5Y
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
"Warner previously hit 311 mph on the same course in 2011, using 1.5 miles of pavement. That's considered to be the world land speed record for a conventional motorcycle, Kelly said. This time he was trying to hit 300 mph using just a mile of pavement"

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with a Hayabusa. He tells me that getting up to that sort of speed is easy - slowing down without the machine becoming very light in the rear end is the hard bit - and that is on public roads , which is of course very naughty .
None of my motorcycles have the potential to go even half that fast , and that suits me just fine . A sad day for his family and friends , but he went out doing what he loved to do . How many of us will be able to do that ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A sad day for his family and friends , but he went out doing what he loved to do . How many of us will be able to do that ?

You can do that anytime you wish. It only takes a little stupidity.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the case off Everest the non-mountaineering public remembers Hillary and Norgay for climbing Everest. Few people know Mallory's story and even fewer have ever heard of Sandy Irvine.
I remember when Campbell made fish food out of himself for out running his engineering. There is nothing special about that. People do that all of the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

I think the comparison with Mallory is inappropriate, but let's run with it.
100 years later, one cannot talk about Everest without thinking and talking about George Mallory! And this wasn't engineered by "the media". Something about attempting and failing appeals to the common man who realizes that second best is still better than all those thousands who just stand on the sidelines and throw stones at those who attempt to break boundaries.
The rider had already reached 300 mph as I understand it, and was trying to accomplish it again in a shorter distance. A more appropriate comparison might be with Sir Donald Campbell. Look him up! I grew up in those days. He failed as well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xemKc2In5Y
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's SIR Donald Campbell, and we are talking about him 40 plus years after his death. I most certainly hope that we are not talking about YOU in forty years time, except perhaps under the heading 'Small men we have known". He " broke eight absolute world speed records on water and on land in the 1950s and 1960s. He remains the only person to set both world land and water speed records in the same year (1964)."
Peter.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I have a friend with a Hayabusa. He tells me that getting up to that sort of speed is easy - slowing down without the machine becoming very light in the rear end is the hard bit - and that is on public roads , which is of course very naughty .
None of my motorcycles have the potential to go even half that fast , and that suits me just fine . A sad day for his family and friends , but he went out doing what he loved to do . How many of us will be able to do that ?

In kilometers per hour, maybe. The top speed for the first gerenation was 185-195 mph and after that series bike (1997-2000) Japan agreed to limit speeds to under 180 mph on produciton bikes. This one was heavily modified with aftermarket parts, fairings and a big turbo.

I've never seen the printed horsepower of this bike but to reach 311 mph it had to be in the 900 hp range or better.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually tigger, I thought I read somewhere, within the last year or so, of someone caught speeding on a motorcycle, and he was clocked by the cops at 200mph. Wisconsin perhaps? I took my ST1100 up to 100 once and got scared! had to try it though!
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no sirs in my world dick.

Only a screw ball would worship someone so stupid as to kill himself playing Russian roulette.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
It's SIR Donald Campbell, and we are talking about him 40 plus years after his death. I most certainly hope that we are not talking about YOU in forty years time, except perhaps under the heading 'Small men we have known". He " broke eight absolute world speed records on water and on land in the 1950s and 1960s. He remains the only person to set both world land and water speed records in the same year (1964)."
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only a screw ball would worship someone

Huh? I don't worship Sir Donald Campbell, but I do hold him in high esteem.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
tiggertate: Bill's bike produced 1,000+ horsepower. I am close friends with Billy Shoemaker another land speed guy and Bill helped Billy put his bike together. Here's a link to Billy efforts: http://www.fkawi.com/index.html

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that bikes have had serious stability issues at high speeds on the Salt Lake flats. Is that location now over for future attempts at world land speed records?
Peter.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No Peter, Bonneville is still the most important site in the US for world speed records. Especially unlimited records. There trials we're discussing are "standing mile" and "standing mile and a half" which is the total length of the run start to finish and they are run on abandoned runways no loner than 14,000 to 20,000 feet. The salt lake is many many miles long and you have comparatively unlimited run-up distance to reach the speed traps at top speed.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote