New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving Fast
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Way back in College, you know the time, you do not have a whole lot of fear...

I went to school, and lived 34 miles away from, my home town. I drove a 64 Chevelle SS 4 speed, that was pretty "peppy".

One Friday, classes were done for the day, I ate lunch, at the dorm cafeteria. I got into the Chevelle, fired her up, started the stop watch function on my wrist watch, and 15 minutes and 7 seconds later, I was setting in my parents driveway...

Lucky for me, I never saw any Police, well actually, I was Lucky for they never saw Me. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my second year in College my roommate, a good buddy of mine from home, became a used car dealer. I was working as a butcher at the grocery store. We had become friends with a Police Officer that lived in our Apt complex. He told us that the City was selling their squad cars on a sealed bid, as they bought new Squad cars every two years. He told my room mate which cars were in the best shape, so we bought 8 of them...

They had pulled off all of the Police lights but left the badge decals on the doors.

We test drove all of them and kept the fastest/best one for ourselves. We slicked up the others and sold them.

They were all Ford Galaxies, with the big block Shelby Cobra motors with the Police package.

They ran like scalded dogs. shocker We tuned and tweeked the one we kept and it would do 150+ easy. My Grand Father was in the tire business, and we had Prielli tires on it, that were rated for 160 MPH for 24 hours, and for 170 MPH for one hour... I had the same tires on my Chevelle.

With the Police Badge on the door, we could drive it anywhere, in any city, on any road, at any speed, with Impunity.

We never got stopped. We had a lot of great times in that car... Big Grin tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mexico city to acapulco, including a stop for gas, and stops for tolls, not a straight road, actually pretty windy with an 8000 foot elevation change....... 312 kilometers....... record so far 1 hour 52 minutes.........

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patricio
Have you ever driven around Volente road and Lime Creek Road?
Some of the curves have a posted 15 mph.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant say I have, where is that....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Particio,
Just head out 2222 to 620. Cross 620 and drive down Bullick Hollow Road. When you get to the T intersection take a left on to Volente/Dies Ranch/Anderson Mill Road.
Take it slow the first few passes. When you get to Volent the road with make a right at a stop sign. Follow that around the edge of the lake. There are a lot of 15 to 20 mph turns that make about 120 to 150 degrees with no run off room.
It is a favorite for motocycles.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I try not to drive too fast in the states, can get in a load of trouble, just not worth it.....

On the other hand we can do whatever we want down here...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Motorcycles ? Canadian cops are looking for a biker who went 186 mph and put it on youtube ! They've ID'd him .
Here there's a very winding bit of highway ,straight above ,400', the river . Bikers like that road at night doing wheelies ! One recently went over the wall and ,lucky for him ,just at a spot where there was a rock outcropping and tree that stopped him.Any other point and he would have had a fatal 400' drop. cuckoo

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Way back in College, you know the time, you do not have a whole lot of fear...

I went to school, and lived 34 miles away from, my home town. I drove a 64 Chevelle SS 4 speed, that was pretty "peppy".

One Friday, classes were done for the day, I ate lunch, at the dorm cafeteria. I got into the Chevelle, fired her up, started the stop watch function on my wrist watch, and 15 minutes and 7 seconds later, I was setting in my parents driveway...

Lucky for me, I never saw any Police, well actually, I was Lucky for they never saw Me. Big Grin

120mph average?
You sure about that?

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
171 mph in my Aston Martin in 5th gear- chickened out didn't go to sixth.

165 mph in my Ferrari top down.

Unfortunately my S 55 and SL 55 were limited to 155. It's a helluva feeling to be at 155 mph and slightly lurch forward when the limiter kicks in as the cars were still accelerating.

Way too many animals where I live, I've hit 2 deer with my F350 and 2 coons and 2 buzzards with my S 550. But I still take the Ferrari up to 120-140 to burn some carbon off the plugs.

My driveway is a shade under 1/4 mi. I used to joke if I can't get a car up to 100 mph on my driveway I'd get rid of it.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
155 in my corvette with top down.

162 in my Viper following a Lambo that pulled away from me becuase I chickened out. I am sure he hit 180+MPH on I94 south of Chicago. It felt solid and stable, not sure I will ever hit the claimed top speed of 196MPH.

76mph in my Camry last week, wind aided.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC,

did you get the 599 GTO?

I noticed in the September DuPont Registry there are three for sale. Red, Yellow, and White.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
154 in an Eagle Talon TSI
125 in an Olds Calais Quad 442 in 4th with 1000 revs and all of 5th gear to spare.

And the most harrowing........ from Lexington, KY to the WV state line WAAAAY out of numbers in a Jeep Cherokee Sport on 30.5" Mud Terrain T/A's. A true "white-knuckle" ride !!!!!!!!

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
235km/h with a BMW 635CSi,5 speed manual on the Autobahn...

Currently wants to test my -82 Jaguar XJS V12....do not dear to do it on public road in Norway...did 160km but then turned wise/chicken.. Big Grin

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
172 mph on a tweaked 1986 Suzuki GSXR in 1990. Hit the rev limiter at the top of 5th just as I went by the radar gun.

I still have the bike, and had it in storage for a number of years. It still looks new, as it was never abused, dropped , or repainted. I don't ride it much anymore, maybe 25 or 30 miles a month. It was and is a lot of candy for a dime.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to drive fast when I was young and dumb. when I was dating my first wife, 40+ years ago, I would go to her folks place after work about three times a week. It was a 48 mile drive and usually did it in about 35 minutes. I drove a 67 Ford Galaxy 500 with 390 engine and C6 automatic that ran like.... well it would turn rubber in high gear when you laid into it with good rubber under it. One late afternoon at her place her mother commented that I must have gotten off work early, which I was evasive about answering her but started wondering how fast I could make the drive. About a week later I punched the time card at exactly 5:00 and walked to my car and drove to her house in 28 minutes but didn't drive all out and decided I could do it in 20 minutes flat. I don't know if I could do it or not because I went through a highway intersection by Cameron, MO where a young Missouri Highway Patrolman was stopped at a stop sign and he didn't have enough time to put the radar gun on me. He pulled me over and asked me how fast I had been going and I didn't really know and he kept asking me so i told him I was running about 70 (45mph speed limit). I was going a lot faster than that but I didn't know exactly but had let off the gas about a mile out of town before which the speedo needle was well buried well behind the case. His little visit with me ruined my time and I never tried that again. I try to never run over 5 over the limit now.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/0...ln-tunnel-with-only/

It's a wonder that Mayor Bloomberg permitted this !No large soda cups !! Just F-1 cars in the tunnel ! faint rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post

FIXED IT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you say so...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AND ONE MORE