Find
Notify
Tools

"Chasing Classic Cars" Wayne Carini
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Anyone else watch this program? I really enjoy it, Wayne has a genuine passion for all kinds of cars. Velocity Channel on my cable.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He drove a Simplex the other day and showed what a death trap it was. It reminded me of the handling characteristics a large farm tractor while coasting down a steep hill.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I think most of those old cars were. My first car was a 1929 Model A, had very limited braking. I read the handling characteristics of a Dusenburg Model J are akin to a runaway freight train.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take a Dusy any day! Sell that bad boy, buy a nice ranch, Aston Martin and go to Africa every year for the rest of my life.

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I think most of those old cars were. My first car was a 1929 Model A, had very limited braking. I read the handling characteristics of a Dusenburg Model J are akin to a runaway freight train.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

Forrest, I drove a '41 Dodge WC closed cab pickup. It took a lot longer to go from fifty to zero than it did zero to fifty! Assuming you could keep it in a straight line long enough. That, and think the whine of the straight gear tranny caused most of my hearing loss...

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watch the show constantly. We actually met Mr. Carini and McKeel Hagerty at the Bay Harbor Concours in Petoskey, MI in 2012. They were on a rally and "got lost" to visit the concours.

The Bay Harbor Concours is one of only two shows in Michigan that feature high-end sports and classic cars. This year it's 21 June. Love this show. It's in a beautiful part of Northern Michigan.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote