Find
Notify
Tools

BMW R75/5 Cafe racer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
No longer have the bike, but thought I'd share pics of a '72 BMW R75/5 I modded. I had a bunch of bikes in the late 90s-early 2000s including 2 /5s, a Ducati Monster, and a CBR 600. The old BMWs had soul and I have some fun memories of them when I used to live in the Southwest.
This was a full frame off restoration with extensive mechanical improvements-overbored, dual plugged, Dell Orto carbs, a one-off seat out of Germany, custom paint, etc. I had a bone stock '72 "Toaster" tank that I low-sided; this was an inspired replacement...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
summer of 1977 I remember being so jazzed about getting an R100S. They were all red, and Phil Schilling and ___(?) had won Daytona that year with one. Followed closely by the Ducati that an editor of Cycle Magazine cobbled together.

Those were the days...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
I was all of two in the summer of '77. My Dad always spoke highly of the old BMWs, and a couple British bikes he had in the 60s-70s: a BSA Rocket 3, and a Norton Commando. He sold them off when my Mom was pregnant with me, but I'd find parts lingering in our garage years later and ask about them. Hearing my Dad's fond stories and a college friend who picked up an R90/6 and gave me rides, gave me the bug.
Some of my best memories were riding my /5 Toaster to San Diego and Santa Fe when I lived in Tucson. I don't know what I would've done if the bike had broken down on those trips, but I had supreme faith in it and it never let me down over about 18K miles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah! Reminds me of the Douglas Dragonfly. Those were the days, before the Rising Sun came up with far superior bikes!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was the outcast in my group in the early 70s with one of the first 4 cylinder Honda 750s in our area. All my buds drove Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, and Sportsters. Bill, I had the "official" BMW rendition of your bike a few years ago; an R1150S. Of course, it was no match for the Japanese literbikes, but I no longer have the need to go 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and can't stand that folded up riding position, like I was "in utero"!

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, perhaps an unfair comparison? I had a Honda ST1100 which was a great bike! I am considering a Kawasaki Concours but am afraid that I would:
1. Hardly ever use it.
2. Get myself killed.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, buying something like that is safer in 2 ways:

1) It doesn't lend itself to playing "speed racer", which we are all inclined to do on occasion.
2" They're bigger, with more lights, and therefore easier for motorists to see.

I have a Road Glide, a Softail, and a 1972 Moto Guzzi LAPD bike that I just had restored, but I'm getting the itch for a big Beemer; either a K1300 GT or an LT. The Concours is a GREAT buy for the money, I might add.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote