New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield 1873 carbine ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone make repos beside Urberti ? A 1000.00 is out of my reach.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hard luck:
Does anyone make repos beside Urberti ? A 1000.00 is out of my reach.

At one time, H&R made them also. They were good rifles. You might find one of these on an auction site.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not certain about the Uberti that you mention. It sounds more like the one made by Pedersoli, and that is a really good rifle.

The H&R had some design changes and had trouble with the trapdoor latch. It would open when fired and the cartridge would eject. If you can get someone reliable to modify the latch, that is otherwise a decent rifle.

Original Springfields in tolerably good shape (shooters, not lookers) can be had for under $1000, but the Pedersoli will turn your crank better: the Pedersoli has modern steels and heat treating, target grade uniform barrels, and is a very faithful reproduction. It is worth the money.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hard Luck: You can often find an original "shooter" grade trapdoor assembled from various parts for $600 or so. I have one with teh excellent Buffington sight and a perfect bore that I bought for about $550 and it is a fine and fun shooter.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote