Find
Notify
Tools

cannons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
I know some here have made their own cannons from 4140 stock. I would like to build one myself, but am not sure on sizing the material. What sort of pressure does one use as operating pressure for a golf ball sized bore? I'm talking about a cannon, not a mortar, so the barrel will be longer, and I'd want to build a nice wheeled carriage - maybe something like a mountain howitzer scaled down. How do you estimate pressure for various projectile weights and amounts of powder in a cannon? Trying to find an appropriate material size to get the needed safety factor is the hardest part of this for me. I'd like to be able to use a round ball of any material, as long as it's the right size, of course. Basically, want to design it around the heaviest projectile and max powder charge, so I'm not limited to light loads pushing wiffle balls, if you know what I mean.

I've seen the nice cannons at Wild Imports but they use a bronze barrel cast over a steel sleeve. They look great, but I'd like to build a simple one myself, if at all practical. If there are any other sources or advice, I'm all ears. thanks!

(edited for typo)

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Try these guys:

http://www.southbendreplicas.com

We bought 3 cannons from them, going back to 1969 so I think they are the oldest in the biz. They definately know their stuff.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
http://www.steencannon.com

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_captain:
I know some here have made their own cannons from 4140 stock. I would like to build one myself, but am not sure on sizing the material. What sort of pressure does one use as operating pressure for a golf ball sized bore? I'm talking about a cannon, not a mortar, so the barrel will be longer, and I'd want to build a nice wheeled carriage - maybe something like a mountain howitzer scaled down. How do you estimate pressure for various projectile weights and amounts of powder in a cannon? Trying to find an appropriate material size to get the needed safety factor is the hardest part of this for me. I'd like to be able to use a round ball of any material, as long as it's the right size, of course. Basically, want to design it around the heaviest projectile and max powder charge, so I'm not limited to light loads pushing wiffle balls, if you know what I mean.

I've seen the nice cannons at Wild Imports but they use a bronze barrel cast over a steel sleeve. They look great, but I'd like to build a simple one myself, if at all practical. If there are any other sources or advice, I'm all ears. thanks!

(edited for typo)

I LIKE the ones that shoot golf balls - the best use for a golf ball I've seen yet!!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost hate to mention this name in civilized company, however http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com has a great forum about blackpowder cannons and such.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote