Find
Notify
Tools

Bore out & Re rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted
I have a Rem /Hepburn barrel 30" Tapered Octagon Some person Drilled it out and it is now +- .425 I.D. Somewhere in my past I remember a man in Northern Montana who Rifled barrels , any help greatly appreciated !
Concho

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Option A: just put one of JT's liners in. Properly installed, it is invisible.

Option B: Norm Johnson in Turtle Lake,ND. He owns and operates High Plains Reboring & Barrels, LLC. If Norm likes you, he can be coaxed into building you a cut-rifled barrel, gain twist, and false muzzle if he is in a really good mood.
1-701-448-9188. Email: nrjonson@westriv.com

Norm is one of the true old timers. I have shot with him three or four years at the Quigley.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
The barrel is .700 at muzzle and off center . The person who bored it out either hit a hard spot ?, the barrel was off center from factory ?, or he was not cleaning reamer /drill? while doing the job ? Jess reboring Oregon , called me and he advised a new barrel , I already have a new barrel on the action 50/70 I was hoping to repair the original ! It seems that the job is just a waste of money ? Thanks Rich I do appreciate your information . concho

Don't take the chip !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good machine shop can rebore that barrel even with its issues.

In the mide-1920's one H. M. Pope provided the US Army Palma Team with offset 22lr drilled.bored/reamed/polished/rifled barrels so that they could shoot their Springfields for practice (indoors at their armories) and save those excellent Pope barrels for competition. No changes to the bolt, the rimfire barrel was bored and rifles offset half the difference between rim diameters of the 30-06 and 22lr.

It is amazing the things they could do nearly a century ago with a steam powered, overhead belt driven lathe or mill; that these modern wizards are unable to fathom with their multi-million dollar CNC equipment and a hi-zoot computer, isn't it?

Talk to Norm...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I have done my best to get the area where the drill went off and I have a fixture that I made for the boring and doing other jobs on octagon barrels for Rem/Rollers I am going to set up the barrel in that fixture and bore out the offset buy a reamer from Enco and fix it myself ! if I fail well it's junk now any weigh
concho

Don't take the chip !

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Danny Petersen of Classic Barrels in Prescott, AZ could do the job. If your interested I will get his info for you as I am going to his shop this afternoon or Monday morning. My wife is in the hospital so I don't know if I can make it today but by Monday for sure. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim , I sent a E-mail to you .

Don't take the chip !