New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss vs GOEX vs Elephant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently shoot Pyrodex in the .50 Encore rifle and 2f GOEX in the .54 rifle and 3f GOEX in the .54 pistol.

I am considering getting a mixed case of Swiss and Elephant. I understand that Swiss is hotter. I understand that Swiss is cleaner (to some extent, if burned in the right pressure gradient).

Have people had a good experiences with Swiss and Elephant?
Are there any issues I should know about?
Can you get good groups in an Encore with either brand Swiss or Elephant? (I was never able to get decent groups with GOEX.)

Tanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
I currently shoot Pyrodex in the .50 Encore rifle and 2f GOEX in the .54 rifle and 3f GOEX in the .54 pistol.

I am considering getting a mixed case of Swiss and Elephant. I understand that Swiss is hotter. I understand that Swiss is cleaner (to some extent, if burned in the right pressure gradient).

Have people had a good experiences with Swiss and Elephant?
Are there any issues I should know about?
Can you get good groups in an Encore with either brand Swiss or Elephant? (I was never able to get decent groups with GOEX.)

Tanks

Both are good powders, but Swiss is much better. In other words, you can have good or great. Get great!
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently saw on a Schutzen board that Swiss and Elephant are basically the same formula. The Swiss shoots slightly moister, which makes it a bit better for BPCR.
I would suggest getting a couple pounds of each for comparison shooting. I've been shooting Elephant, and have went through about three cases now. It seems to be very accurate in my English sporting rifle, shooting clean when using a Moose Milk patch lube.
If you shoot alot, the Elephant is definitely easier on the pocket. About $180 per case delivered this last spring, so it should still be in the same ball park. That same amount may buy ten pounds of Swiss.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waksupi:
I recently saw on a Schutzen board that Swiss and Elephant are basically the same formula. The Swiss shoots slightly moister, which makes it a bit better for BPCR.
I would suggest getting a couple pounds of each for comparison shooting. I've been shooting Elephant, and have went through about three cases now. It seems to be very accurate in my English sporting rifle, shooting clean when using a Moose Milk patch lube.
If you shoot alot, the Elephant is definitely easier on the pocket. About $180 per case delivered this last spring, so it should still be in the same ball park. That same amount may buy ten pounds of Swiss.

Ric,
There is no comparison in the ballistics of the two powders. Elephant is the slowest powder on the market, Swiss the fastest. They are sold via the same distributorships, but they are completely different powders.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly agree that Elephant is much slower by volume that either of the other powders. I have tested it, and other types, including Curtis and Harvey, Hundsons' Bay (which I believe is the same, packaged under a different label), and the old Green River pre-explosion powder, along with a couple modern substitutes, and the Chinese trash.

I find 80 gr. 3f optimum in my 1-60 twist Lynn Weimer barrel. 1/2 " at fifty yards is common with the Elephant from the bench. I can live with this. Neither Swiss nor Goex will do better than this consistantly.

I'll see if I can get some time to look up the data between the powders and post it. I'm currently running a shoot on the shooters.com cast bullet room, and am scoring more targets than I expected, so 'puter time is limited somewhat.

I do have an old Judge Ressel barrel on a Beckwith Pennnsylvania that does prefer Goex.

My Sharps does prefer Swiss, but price wise, for my volume of shooting, GOEX or E=lephant gets the most use. BPCR accounts for a couple hundred rounds a week for me, and I won't spend the big bucks on practice powder. Can't afford it. More power to you if you can, I live in Appalachia West.

I use an outhouse, so I can afford powder.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I use Goex, old and new Elephant in 32,45, 50, 54 rifles, Those who shoot much more seriously than I do say the Swiss and Wano are the best with others a distant second.
They also rate new Elephant right there with, or slightly ahead of Goex.

I just shoot to play since none of the bigger critters will step in front of me when I have smokepole in my hand, and I sure ain't good enough with 32 flinchlock to shoot tree rats.

LouisB

Making smoke and loving it!

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a bad lot with any of them. I had a bad case of Elephant a year or so ago. I contacted the distributor, and they sent me a new case, no problem., The reject made good lawn fertilizer, but that was all it was worth. It wouldn't shoot a six inch group at 25 yards, no matter what I did for load variation. It wouln't even shoot well in a smooth bore. I've also heard of bad lots or Swiss and GOEX, but I believe a bad lot of any is an odd circumstance, and I have never heard of the dealer not standing behind the product.

http://www.geocities.com/waksupi1/UnNamed.html?953663499190

http://www.geocities.com/ric_carter59932/Rics_hunting_page.html?1035170307240