New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ruger 77/50
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have one that I bought when it first came out and I think it is one of the strongest and best made muzzleloaders out there.I don't shoot it much anymore because I have other muzzleloaders,I took 7 deer in 3 years with it using a 185 gr nosler and 200 gr xtp's and 100 grs of pyro,all were head shots up to 75 yds.It shoots bullets from 180 gr to 250 grs well,haven't tried anything larger.I would stick with the #11 caps and try 100 grs of pyro and the new sst 250 gr bullet.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of the Ruger Stainless Mod. 77/50 with laminated stock. The rifle was very accurate with 200 grain XTP's and two Pyrodex Pellets. The only problem with it that I could see is that it did not have a removable nipple for the no.11 caps and the nipple on the rifle was a bit oversized and would not let the rifle fire every time. In fact it cost me a 12 point buck that I had been hunting for two years and I sold it to a friend of mine, he resized the nipple and loves it. I purchased a Encore 209X50 Mag and feel that it is the best Muzzleloader out there or at least it ranks right at the top of the list. I mounted a 3X9X40 Leupold on it and get cloverleaf groups at 100 yards and with 240 gr. XTP's and 2 Pyrodex Pellets and 1" groups at 200 with 3 Pyrodex pellets and the same 240 gr XTP's. I did however have to install an oversized hinge pin in the Encore and also did a Mike Bellm trigger job.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote