Find
Notify
Tools

T C. Maxi balls. In my hawken
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Going to try some Maxi balls in my TC Hawken.
Just wanted to know are there any tricks?? Is a wad necessary? You just push them down tight on the powder Do you just push them down tight on the powder?
Thinking of starting with 80 grains of 777 And the 320 grain bullet.
Educate me!!
Thank you in advance Marc

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have three 54 calibers, two are Thompson Center Hawkens and the other is a custom muzzleloader for my mountain man activities. I put the lubed maxi-ball right down on the powder, making sure that it is seated tightly. I shoot between 90 and 100 grains of Goex FFg. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Goex FF in the 80-100 gr range ,NO wads !

Is your Hawken a 45,50 ,54 or a 58 ?

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info guys. My Hawken is a TC that I bought in 1980. Used to shoot it all the time until I got into the in line craze. It is a 50 caliber I hope that is the one in 48 twist. Wanted to use the 777 Because I have about 10 pounds of it on hand. I now use the blackhorn 209 and my in-line.

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never got good groups with maxi's untill I went to 3F. Target load is 80grs. and max load is 100grs. This is in a T/C 54 Renegade

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to shoot the 50 cal. 370 gn. T/C Maxi-Balls. I tried various charges of 2f and 3f Goex and Swiss powders from 75 up to 100 gns trying to get a good Hog load for my factory T/C 1:48 50 cal. Caplock rifle.
Most of the loads tested would shoot random patterns from a rest at 50 yds, not really resembling a group. They went pretty much all over an 8x11 sheet of paper. Using a pre-lubed felt wad, and 90 gns of 2f Goex I have been able to get 3-4 in. groups at 50. I switched to the Hornady 385 Great Plains bullet during the same range session, using the same 90 gns. of 2f Goex and got all shots printing into a a single "ragged" hole from 50 yds. Search Over.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote