New
Find
Notify
Tools

The mould is on its way...
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I sent away to Greenriver Rifle Works for a mould for my tower musket (1859). I took a cast of the bore(the wrong way I've been told) and sent that away to have a mould made. The cast measured out to be .577 cal, god knows what weight projectile it will throw.

Being a gumby when it comes to BP any tips from you guys about getting this rifle shooting? I've ordered a mini-ball mould btw.

Posts: 7995 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
BAKES!! I have a .58 flintlock with a GRRW barrel they made for me when they were still in Utah! Great barrel, 1/60" twist.

The bullet you need depends on your rifling twist. The U.S. Civil war Springfields and copies were 1/72", and use a 535-grain Minie ball with a service load of 60 grains of FFg powder. I think the same bullet and powder charge would be close to "issue" for your Tower (Enfield??) rifle-musket.

I use the Lyman 57730 Minie bullet in my .58, which is a rifle with 1" across the flats octogon barrel of 36" length. The bullet weighs 570 grains, and come out of the mould with pure lead at .577" I size it to .575", and it is a tight sliding fit in my GRRW barrel. Shoots quite well with 120 grains of FFg, but I'd use less powder in a musket. The barrel walls are thinner than in a rifle. Strangely, my .58 rifle shoots a .570" round ball with 0.015" patch and 120 grains of FFg to the same point of impact @ 100 yards as the 570-grain Minie ball! (Good thing too - the rifle has fixed sights!)

Have fun! I think you'll like black powder, once you get a whiff of the fumes!!

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info mate. They are sending me some load info with the mould. Can't wait to use it against some pigs this year

Posts: 7995 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote