New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why we call 'em FLINCH-Locks!
 Login/Join

Picture of Old_No7
posted
My hat's off to anyone who can shoot a flintlock well! Or good even... As for me, Thank God for percussion caps, metallic cartridges -- and Jack Daniel's!!! Big Grin

This series of pictures is of my identical twin brother shooting his new .69 caliber smoothbore flintlock... Wow!!! What an awesome explosion going off just 10" from your face!

Note that he's a lefty (I'm a righty, from the other side of the egg) and remember that his face is on the same side as the rock-lock'er... Also note how consistent his hold is through the entire shot (hint: watch the position of the trigger guard).

If that had been ME -- I admit the rifle would have left the frame!!! I shot it twice, and that was enough for me. But maybe I'll try it again in a few months -- after my eyebrows grow back... Wink

Anyway, enjoy these pix that I ripped from the video I took with my digi-cam.

Tight groups!

Old No7

No.1

No.2

No.3

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." � 2000 DTH

Posts: 23 | Location: Midcoast Maine | Registered: 24 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey ... that's a Caywood 62 caliber (20 gauge) Wislon's trade gun there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old_No7:
My hat's off to anyone who can shoot a flintlock well! Or good even... As for me, Thank God for percussion caps, metallic cartridges -- and Jack Daniel's!!! Big Grin

You can keep your hat on around me.Smiler I shoot them competitively, but do much better in the caplock events. We just had the FL state match last weekend and it was a real challenge for everyone. Particularly so for the flinters. It was driving rain & 35 mph winds. Think of the follow through for those 100 yd targets Eeker
For all those great rifle shooters around here, who brag about their half inch groups, they should pick up a flintlock & shoot it offhand at 100 yards . They would then see just how good they REALLY are. Talk about a dose of humility rotflmo

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great series of photos.

Shooting glasses, anyone? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nugman:
ONe thing to consider when priming a flintlock's pan, is to place the priming charge away from the touch hole. You don't need much priming powder. When the flint strikes the fence /frizzen and makes sparks to ignite the priming charge, the flash of the priming charge will go into the touch hole much faster and hotter this way.

What you don't want to do is place the priming charge in pan against the touch hole (barrel opening). This creates a fuse affect, and is much slower. This is one of the reasons flintlocks get a bad reputation for "klatch-boom" reactions. Properly set up, detonation of the main charge is almost instantaneous.

Also, keep your flints sharp. Some flinters work better with "flat side up" or "flat side down." Don't be afraid to experiment.

That's a big flash in the pan. Think about using less priming powder, and leave a gap betweent the touch hole and the charge.

You'll see experienced flintlock shooters/hunters give their flintlock rifles a quick flick to the pan side with their hands. This will throw the covered priming charge away from the touch hole in field / hunting situations.

Flinters are great.

They sure are, but each one has it's own preferences. Of mine, 2 like a pan full of priming powder @5 gr and the other likes just a little @2 gr. Maybe that's what makes em very personal guns.
They're kind of like women. If you understand them & give em what they like, they'll take good care of ya. If not, they can make your life miserable Roll Eyes

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures, No 7. (Man this sounds like dialogue from The Prisoner) Imagine training and drilling soldiers to operate these beasts in battle, marching, standing, and firing in close formation, not flinching when firing, and the enemy's musket balls and various projectiles randomly take down the odd man around them. And wearing brightly coloroed wool while doing it instead of an IBAS, an ACH helmet, and eye pro.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
In mine, I don't use any more powder in the pan than is absolutely needed to get the main charge to fire. My .73 Jaeger is so fast firing, by the time I can flinch the ball has already departed!

Hard to tell, but that picture LOOKS LIKE there's about 3X more powder in that pan than would be required...... This of course depends on the placement of your touch-hole, how big the hole is, and how close to the outside of the touch-hole the powder charge lies inside the barrel!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, some folks don't know where to put the "flash hole". It should be level with the top of the priming pan & centered. Some want to put them lower in the pan & I've seen some that were at the bottom of the pan.
The best thing you can do to get great ignition in a flinter, IMO, is install a "white Lightning" liner from Jim Chambers. I put a bunch of them in and sometimes have to re-locate the hole at the same time. In every case the shooter comes back raving about improved ignition.

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I have a way of teaching new comers to flintlocks , empty barrel ! load flash pan ! shoot at least 10 times ! or untill you stop flinching . Now load and shoot ! seems to work well for everyone I have introduced to flinters ,last student a lady , and she did great with a .50 cal

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote