New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Dangerous Game Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know Powerbelt makes steel tip's, but can I take solids and quality softnoses from my elephant loads and put them in a sabot? What amount of powder would I use for the 400-500 grain Barnes, Hornady & Speer bullets? Thanks

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber is your rifle?

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a client last year who used 500grn Hornady's in sabot ahead of 150grns of FFg to take an ele from a custom 50 cal.

Took a heart shot which killed it. Tried it on the head later. Would have worked for a side brain but not a frontal.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MM: I wouldn't pull any of my good DG loads apart. I shoot 400 grain heat treated solids in my White 50 cal. muzzleloaders, .458" LBT WFNML from Cast Performance Bullet Co. Great accuracy out of my 22" barrels with 1 in 24" twist, with loads of Pyrodex P from 100-120 grains and a black sabot.

Only recovered one from large game, most pass thrus. 48" penetration on an elk - quartering towards, shot on shoulder and broke opposite hip. I'm sure it would be devastating on buffalo or a brain shot on elephant.

Have quite a few left, and would part with some. If you're really interested, PM me your address and I'll send you a new box of 100. You pay me whatever postage costs only. Good deal, huh!

Joel

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote