Find
Notify
Tools

paper patched muzzleloader????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
Has anyone ever tried to paper patch a 45 cal pistol bullet to shoot out of a 50 cal ML? I've tried the sabots and was just thinking ( where I get into trouble ) about patching those bullets with, say masking tape or something like that?

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No but I have shot the Lee Mini paper patched. It was a .50 cal 1 in 48" twist, and it shot very good.
http://members.shaw.ca/bobschewe/

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Has anyone ever tried to paper patch a 45 cal pistol bullet to shoot out of a 50 cal ML? I've tried the sabots and was just thinking ( where I get into trouble ) about patching those bullets with, say masking tape or something like that?

No, but I shoot .443" paper patched bullets out of a .450" muzzleloader all the time. Nothing new there, been done for 150 yrs (at least). Heartily recommend it.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input, I think I'll give it a try!

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for your input, I think I'll give it a try!

Good luck. But I think you need a bullet bigger than a .45 pistol bullet - which is generally about .452". The maskingtape idea is the way to go if you must use something thick however. Doesn't Ruger make a .480 pistol of some sort? I'm not much up on these things, but if so, that would be a better choice for bullet.

also, you may have poor performance with some pistol bullets. They aren't made to go as fast as some muzzleloaders will push them and they can fragment on impact.

Good luck,
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote