ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    First day out with the .54 Hawken

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First day out with the .54 Hawken
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SagSert
posted
So I bought this relic of .54 Investarms Hawken. the one sold by Cabellas, for a C Note from a guy who needed money. The stock was finished so bad, i wouldn't even make it a broom stick or use as a shovel hand.After spending a few weeks stripping and refinishing it actually turned out acceptable for a field gun. Nothing to be proud of or cherish, just a shooter.

The barrel looked brand new, never fired. So today I prepared some loads starting from 70 to 90 in 5 gr increments. After a quick stop for RB procurement I was at Ben Avery in the heat of the day. The first shots at 100 went way off. A wee bit of screwdriver action brought the shots on the paper. I didn't have a tach so the velocity is unknown but after 30 rounds or so with different charges I think I found a workable and acceptable combination.

Next order of business will be carrying a pen that writes to the range and trying the same combination with proper black powder.

Any and all ideas / suggestions are highly appreciated.

Cheers

Posts: 27 | Location: PV Arizona, USA | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sagsert: That's a very nice target at 150 yards. How about a photo of your rifle? Investarms also makes the Lyman GPR -- good guns.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16506 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SagSert
posted Hide Post
I don't have any pictures prior to the refinish but this is how it looks now.

Stock was painted not stained when I got it. It took 3 cans of spray stripper to remove the mess, luckily who ever put the kit together has done a poor job at fitting the brass parts, there was a lot of wood to work with. Now everything fits flush. I used about 10 coats of linseed oil last 4 coats were marine grade teak oil. There is no stain applied to the wood.

Cheers

Posts: 27 | Location: PV Arizona, USA | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Investarms made a fine barrel ,they shoot very well ,accuracy will get better ,start at 80 and work your way up with some 2f black and a rb .
Let us know how it works.
Mainer

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what beautiful rifle. The wood on it is superb. That is was painted is beyond belief.

Dana
CZ 458 Lott, 416 Rigby
375 H&H Remington C shop
50/2.5 BPC

Posts: 44 | Location: Buhl, Idaho | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote