New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust preventative for bore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you use in the bore to prevent rust between shooting sessions? How do you remove it prior to shooting

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I use Break-Free CLP between shooting sessions. Rust prevention starts with total, complete removal of all powder fouling, leading, and/or plastic fouling from your bore. If you get your barrel really clean, it is no more difficult to prevent rust in it than in a modern rifle!! [Big Grin]

<eldeguello>
posted
OOPS!! Sorry!! Incomplete answer!! YES!! Remove ALL of any rust preventative from your bore before loading it again!! A couple of patches with rubbing alcohol on them, followed by two or three dry patches, will remove Break-Free. Then pop a couple of caps/primers on the nipple while holding the muzzle near a dry leaf or blade of grass on the ground to make sure the flash channel is open. If it is, the cap will visibly move the leaf or blade of grass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I swab the bore and rub all metal down with Sheath. I use only flintlocks, so I don't bother removing it prior to shooting.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
What do you use in the bore to prevent rust between shooting sessions? How do you remove it prior to shooting

I use Napa Automatic Transmission fluid. It's cheap, and perfect for the use. I wipe one dry patch through the bore before loading.

Why does shooting a flintlock mean you don't do anything prior to shooting? I shoot a flinter and I still wipe it down just for the sake of not needing a bunch of oil in my powder, in my fouling, etc.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:

Why does shooting a flintlock mean you don't do anything prior to shooting?
Brent[/QB]

You're right, it has nothing to do with flintlocks. It's because I use Sheath. I don't swab my centerfires before I shoot them and I also don't swab my flintlocks. If I had a cap lock, I wouldn't swab it either, I'd just taunt it with a can of 3 in 1 household oil and say "look how disgustingly oily you could be".

No excessive goo lube
No swabing
No incantations
No hocus pocus

Just "click", "BOOM!"

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
The trick I use is that after cleaning I leave a patch lubricated with any good muzzleloading patch lube on the ramrod and leave it in the barrel when I store it. I run the ramrod in and out every now and then. Its ready to shoot without haveing to thoroughly clean out petrolium based rust protectors.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Bore butter as a longer term bore protector. It turned out to be worthless as tits on a suitcase in cold damp weather for a lube, so I'm glad I found a use for the stuff to use it up.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote