Find
Notify
Tools

Omega .45 and Blackhorn 209
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
How about a .45 caliber T/C omega for deer? Are the T/C 200 gr. shockwave sabots enough and are they effective out to 100 yards? The twist rate in this barrel is 1-20" so it should be plenty fast enough to stabilize these sabots. My gut says go with lead long for caliber bullets but I don't have any at the moment. I have some Blackhorn 209 I am going to try with winchester primers. Range day is tomorrow and I plan to give it a try on deer next weekend provided I can get a shot. What are your thoughts?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
At range for 4 hours fired 15 rounds. 9 over the chrony and the other six for sight adjustment. Volume loaded 3 rounds each of bh209: 70 grs averaged 1750fps, 80gr 1875fps and 100gr 2150fps. Weighed the 100 gr load on my scale at home at 70.5 gr weight. Right out of the box rifle was dead on at 25 yards. I had to move sights down 2" and right 3" at 50 yards and hit dead center 1" group. Moved over to 100 yards dead center 1-1/2" inch group no sight adjustment. Not bad for my old eyes and factory iron sights.

I wanted to shoot more but I was exhausted from trying to push the sabots down the bore of this .45 cal omega. The last three rounds I ended up hammering the sabots down with a 6" chunk of 2x4 because I just couldn't push the damn things down anymore!! I tried swabbing the barrel between shots and even lubing the bore with bore butter with no ease of effort. took ALL the fun right out of it and turned it into work.

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So are you gonna clean the bore, shoot one fouling shot, reload, and go deer hunting. Sounds like it shoots fine. Put the bullet where it belongs and you'll have venison.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
It shoots just fine and I solved the hard loading problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what was the solution to the hard loading problem?

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I am using a swivel handle on my ramrod. Similar to the swivel jag but on the other end.