ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Starter Load for a .58 Zoli made Lyman Zouave

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starter Load for a .58 Zoli made Lyman Zouave
 Login/Join

posted
I just acquired what I think is a Lyman marked "Zouave" replica. It's marked Lyman, Middlefield, Conn. on the lock-plate, and either A. Zoli, or Antonio Zoli on the left side of the rear barrel. I haven't picked it up yet. It looks like a 2 band, three groove bore, brass furniture and patch box, .58 cal., civil war era military rifle. What would be a good starting load using both patched ball, and minie style bullets?

Byron

Posts: 22 | Location: Oregon City, OR USA | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend had one a few years back, and he shot the round ball I think, with 60- 90g of FFG. It was a very accurate rifle out to 150 yards. It was wrecked by shooting a short seated ball. The result was a bulged barrel.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ffg, or "two f"..
maxi hunter TC
85 grains is a good start

jeffe

Posts: 38602 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 60 grains of pyrodex or 2F and a 505 minie bullet, that is the standard target load of most of the re-enactors around here. Mine is extremely accurate!!!

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A .505" Minie? I acquired some .570 Speer roundballs, and some Ox-Yoke .005" patches, and a pound of Swiss FFG. The one thing I'm having a hard time finding locally are Musket caps. When I finally got the patch-box open, there was a spare nipple and a ball puller in it. The rear sight leaves flop around loosely. There's no bluing wear at the pivot points, so I don't think it's from wear. Any suggestions on tightening them up?

Byron

Posts: 22 | Location: Oregon City, OR USA | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I have a T/C Big Boar in 58 cal and I shoot the TC Maxi Ball with Select and 777 at 110 grains as my max....for my accuracy load 100 grains which also makes a good hunting load. The book list 120 being the max but the gain in vel. does not warrent the extra powder

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

A .505" Minie? I acquired some .570 Speer roundballs, and some Ox-Yoke .005" patches, and a pound of Swiss FFG. The one thing I'm having a hard time finding locally are Musket caps. When I finally got the patch-box open, there was a spare nipple and a ball puller in it. The rear sight leaves flop around loosely. There's no bluing wear at the pivot points, so I don't think it's from wear. Any suggestions on tightening them up?Byron

The Zouave is a civil war rifle-musket. It should be used with the standard issue Civil War load: A 505 to 530-GRAIN, .575" diameter (NOT .505"!!) Minie ball with 60 grains of FFg powder. For heavy bullets, stay with the 60-grain powder charge for safety!!

If shooting a patched round ball, you can safely increase the powder charge, but 100 grains is about the safe max. load in that gun with a round ball, particularly if you are using Swiss powder or 777!! A rifle-musket is NOT built to withstand the pressures you can safely use in a RIFLE like a Hawken, which has much thicker barrel walls and stronger breeching.

I use 120 grains of FFg with a 570-grain Minie ball in my .58 Hawken for 1200 FPS MV. I would NEVER use such a load in a rifle-musket!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great post eldeguello

I wasn't 100% aware about the thinner bore walls with musket/replicas. I'm considering a 1861 Zouave 58' this spring.

Think safety first fellas! Don't be confused by bullet diameter and bullet grains. Ask lots of questions before you load & squeeze the trigger.

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote