New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BP Subsitute
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Watch Pyrodex. Very corrosive. Will etch stainless. More trouble to clean up than black. Clean Shot (Pioneer) always did very well for me, but I use it in a relatively dry climate. With the correct lubes, black is still the best.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a complete blackpowder / muzzleloader newcomer, if a rifle is marked on the barrel to use blackpowder or pyrodex only, can you still use 777? Does a formula exist to determine how much of one propellant equals a given amount of another? Hoping to have an easy to maintain / clean / shoot combination in my new TC Omega - thanks - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
<<As a complete blackpowder / muzzleloader newcomer, if a <<rifle is marked on the barrel to use blackpowder or <<pyrodex only, can you still use 777?

Yes you can use 777 or any BP substitute, there are a bunch out there right now. Most subtitutes use the same volume or measure, but read the info on the jar to be sure.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

As a complete blackpowder / muzzleloader newcomer, if a rifle is marked on the barrel to use blackpowder or pyrodex only, can you still use 777? Does a formula exist to determine how much of one propellant equals a given amount of another? Hoping to have an easy to maintain / clean / shoot combination in my new TC Omega - thanks - KMule

You can use ANY of the current BP substitutes. Pyrodex, Clean Shot, and GOEX ClearShot can be used on a volume-for-volume basis, so if your favorite charge is 100 grains by volume measure of FFg black, you can use 100 grains by volume of Pyrodex RS, Clean Shot FFg or ClearShot FFg. But if you use Triple Seven, cut the charge by at least 10% from the BP level, as T7 develops MORE pressure and velocity, grain-for-grain, than BP or the other currently available substitutes. (I don't know if you can still find GOEX ClearShot.)