ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Pedersoli Kodiak .72 Double Rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersoli Kodiak .72 Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Anyone shoot one of these? I am searching for bullets for it. I have a good supply of balls and they are easy to get but I can't find any bullets in the U.S.A. Track of the Wolf has Minie' up to .685 but there it ends.

Anyone know of any source? The only one I found was Tactical Quartermaster in South Africa.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First measure the twist to see if it will stabilize slugs. Then try 12 guage slugs.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Twist is 1:75. Apparently these models are real popular in South Africa for some reason. They seem to shoot them with the bullets with good accuracy. 12 gauge slugs may work.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Found out that NEI has a .715/1200 mold. Seems a little heavy though.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is 2.75 ounces; a small cannon shell. One in 75 twist would never stabilize it, I think. The bullets would have to be short.
Lee makes a hollow base 12 ga mold; worth 25 bucks to try it. I read they were .690. What is your actual bore diameter? I read that they are .724. bore; .734 groove. Load them in plastic shot wads.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
www.accuratemolds.com has molds for .73-caliber bullets from about 470 grains up to 1,480 grains. I have a set of their aluminium mold blocks for a .577 Snider that I am satisfied with.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of Kodiak Safaris. I had a custom mold made for which I can furnish specifications and mold maker.

It is a 775-grain (30:1) conical that I mallet loaded. Its accuracy and consistency is outstanding. From a bench rest unsupported, a right-left clover leafed at 50 yards. At 85 yards, the farthest I shot a Safari, right-left grouped at about four inches.

Rifles had the abominable middle rear sight removed in favor of drilling-&-tapping and installing a Brockman's wing-protected windage and elevation adjustable steel aperture sight.

And, yes, I had other customizing done.

I disposed of the Safaris to buy a matched pair of built-to-order .72-caliber English-style rifles.

N.B.: The custom bullet was created to fit my custom rifles' barrels.

To view what the bullet looks like, PM me with your email address.

If you want to pick my brain for seven years worth of Safaris, PM me.

Hope something in this mishmash helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1500 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seeley Lake

PM on it's way in 10.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave: I had good luck with this mold from NEI in my .72 Kodiak, their .732-835. Classic Fosbury cotton spool design and a modest smack would start it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I contacted Steve Brooks up near Butte, MT. Turns out he still makes the mould. It appears identical to the South African bullet. It only weighs 780 grains as compared to some of them running up to as much as 1250 grains. Don't have a clue what you'd shoot that monster out of.

Dave