New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Flintlock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In my 50 I use FFG as that is what it seems to like best. I think that you will also find that most folks use FFFFG in their pans. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Just bit the bullet and bought a flintlock rifle. The problem is, that although I know how to care for it, I know nothing about feeding the thing. I have considerable time behind a percussion gun, but none with a flinter. I am going to be using patched round ball only. What would be the best granulation of powder for the charge, and do I use the same powder for the pan? Gun is .50 cal.
Hobie, you seem to be really knowledgeable, feel free to get in on this. Thanks

Sir, the main charge load for a .50 flintlock need be no different from a .50 caplock. I use both FFg and FFFg, or the substitute equivalents, in .50's. Some shoot better with one, and some with the other, you never know until you test each one!

The supposedly "best" granulation for the pan charge is FFFFg, but the miltary used the same granulation in the main charge and the pan charge. They bit the bullet off the cartridge, primed the pan FIRST with the gun on half-cock, closed the frizzen, grounded the butt, dropped the rest of the charge down the barrel and spit the ball in afterward, then rammed! Hairy, what??

There may be a slight increase in lock time using FFFFg, but I have used FFFg for priming the pan with good results.

Basically, the only difference between a caplock and a flintlock is the means of starting the fire! I think you'll like the flintlock! They're fun!!