New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breech loading a CVA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever loaded a CVA from the breech? It appears that the breech plug could easily be unscrewed by hand, a power belt type bullet pushed into the rifling and a pellet charge placed behind it. Then replacing the plug. It is essentially the way certain artillery and naval guns are loaded.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, you could certainly do it that way. Artillery breeches have interrupted threads, and have an obturator built into the breech block. Tank breeches are sliding vertical blocks, but the obturator is a rubber band attached to the stub case base, about 4 inches long. The cartridge case is pressed propellent, painted silver so it looks like metal but it isn't.
If I was going to do what you suggest, I would bore the rifling out for 2 inches so I could seat the projectile easily. Some of the early H&R break down MLs did not have a threaded plug at all; just a plug with a rubber o ring; the frame kept the breech plug in. Except in one case when a guy had a hang fire and when he opened it up, it fired, sending the breech plug into his brain.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

If I was going to do what you suggest, I would bore the rifling out for 2 inches so I could seat the projectile easily.

Thanks for your response! That is why I want to use the Powerbelt bullet. The slug itself is bore diameter and the poly driving band at the base is groove diameter. This allows the bullet to act as a pilot aligning it in the bore. I could take a bullet starter and trim it seat the bullet base at a point that would allow proper relation to the pellet charge. I guess I could even make paper cartridges out of nitrated paper to allow the use of loose powder.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would also carry an electric screwdriver with the correct socket on it so I could zip the breech plug out quickly.
I would also use a center fire barrel and bore out the rifling at the breech, and use regular centerfire jacketed bullets in it; no need for special ML type bullets, sabots, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you think the barrel could take the pressure from engraving a full length jacketed bullet, or do I need to use a cast lead bullet of groove diameter?

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I would also carry an electric screwdriver with the correct socket on it so I could zip the breech plug out quickly.
I would also use a center fire barrel and bore out the rifling at the breech, and use regular centerfire jacketed bullets in it; no need for special ML type bullets, sabots, etc.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, engraving bullets doesn't take much pressure.
Notice I said to use a center fire barrel; muzzle loading barrels are made to load from the muzzle and don't conform to standard bullet sizes. For example, I would use a .45 or .50 barrel and then shoot .458s or .500 or .510 bullets in it. I know, all this is more effort than necessary but weird projects is us.
What caliber are you looking at?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just looking at the standard CVA .50 cal. While fooling around with the breech plug I just had a thought to load the thing backwards.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tested the theory today. It works fine. I can remove and reinstall the breech plug in only 7 seconds each way. A .50 Powerbelt slug was easily pressed into the rifling with a bullet starter. The trick is to measure the proper distance to just allow the pellet stack clearance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also carry an electric screwdriver with the correct socket on it so I could zip the breech plug out quickly.[/quote]

You'll need a 6 gun holster to carry that and what happens when you drop the breech plug in the tall grass ? Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a PIA.You can load pellets and powerbelts so fast from the muzzle.Why bother??

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where we hunt in SC many stands have a roof and it is problematic trying to use a ramrod.
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Sounds like a PIA.You can load pellets and powerbelts so fast from the muzzle.Why bother??