Find
Notify
Tools

.360 BPE info please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
A friend has an old express rifle in .360, which he assumes is a .360 Black Powder Express or BPE. I know nothing about this caliber. Is it possible to find reloadable cases for this caliber? Is see on the Drake web site after a Google search that they sell Berdan primed cases but he isn't equiped to reload Berdan primers. Will .360 NE 2-1/4 cases also work? Anybody know this cartridge?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some links for you.

Buffalo Arms lists .36 NE which might be the same brass as the BPE version. At least that seems to be the case for the .45 BPE/NE
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,36.html

Then, if all else fails, Rocky Mountain Cartridge will machine brass to whatever you need. Unfortunately, their website appears to be down this morning but finding their phone number is no big deal if you need it.http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink

Nead to measure the chamber length. The Nitro express and the Nitro for Black powder used a 2¼" case length. I have seen one BPE in Zim, and it was this case length but 2 7/16 and 2 3/4 were also made, but only in Black powder versions.

Bertram brass in Aussie offer formed 2¼" cases and also basic brass to make the longer cases and some of the very similar German BP rounds from.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll have him check again the chamber length (I think he has some old cartridges) to verify. Thanks for the info on cartridge sources.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote