Find
Notify
Tools

10 rounds with Mike Tyson
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
At least that's how my shoulder feels today. I got a chance to play with a 50-140 3-1/4 yesterday. We tried two loads, a 520 and 600gr GC. Both were loaded all the way up. The 520gr was a duplex load. Rifle was a rolling block with half octagon/half round barrel and tang sight. Target was a 24" gong at 440 yards. We set up the bench and front rest to allow the most upright seating position possible. First shot I didn't hold the fore-end tight enough and all observers agreed the rifle jumped before the bullet got out. Next shot I had a death grip and pulled the fore-end down with force. After 4 shots we had the sight corrected, but I needed a little break ("to let the barrel cool" ). The 5th shot connected dead center. The 6th shot nicked the bottom. A few more shots went astray, probably getting shell shocked.

I also took a few pops with the 600gr loads, but I realized I was too shot out to be reliable at that point. Good thing my fillings and retinas were solidly in place.

No real point to this little story, just wanted to share. If anyone can give me a rough idea of the speeds these loads might be generating, please share. And, would it be accurate to call the 50-140 the "50 BMG" of its day? (i do realize it came along well after the buffalo slaughter.)

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm somehow reminded of a visit to the Winchester Gun Museum where I saw (behind glass) a single shot in caliber 70-150 ( I can't remember the length - but big). The plaque below said the rifle was a prototype and had been fired only once. The pain from recoil was found to be excruciating.

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I'm somehow reminded of a visit to the Winchester Gun Museum where I saw (behind glass) a single shot in caliber 70-150 ( I can't remember the length - but big). The plaque below said the rifle was a prototype and had been fired only once. The pain from recoil was found to be excruciating.

Yes, I saw one of those too, someplace. Maybe in the Metzger Gun Collection at Texas A&M. I think it was a huge lever-action affair made on the Win. 12 Ga. lever action shotgun action, and the ammo was a 12-ga. brass shell necked to hold the .700" bullet!

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If anyone can give me a rough idea of the speeds these loads might be generating, please share. And, would it be accurate to call the 50-140 the "50 BMG" of its day? (i do realize it came along well after the buffalo slaughter.)

Well, without knowing the load used and the weight of the rifle - who knows; Duplex loads of 50gn Bullseye under 50gn FFG black (just kidding) would get your attention. I shoot a 50/70 Sharps with black powder only, and it is a pussy. I used to load my 500NE with 130gn FFG and a 500gn bullet without discomfort!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gonzo,
I know what you mean. After awhile, though, this will no longer even get your attention....

My 58 kodiak, at 900, used to make me what to do something else.. 600gr maxi....

after awhile, those same at 1300 began to get boring....

so, to let the barrel cool down, my son pops his 8.25# 458 win mag and i shoot my 500 jeffe...

then the BP's feel like cap guns!!!

Great shooting, on the 440.. sounds like a fun day...

jeffe

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote