ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Re: Wally World $54 special question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Wally World $54 special question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yeah, I have a CVA flint Kentucky gun like that, that I cannot shoot well to save my life. I just thought that the "Bobcat" might be a reasonable alternative, as it is caplock, which eliminates the wait for ignition of the Kentucky Rifle.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny that used BP stuff would be scarce in one area and a glut in others. I just had a T/C Hawken in 54 perc. dumped in my hands and the guy says it is leaking around the breech plug, get what I can for it. The grass smoking goof ball was looking at the smoke stains from the caps! I am afraid to look inside the barrel if the cleaning has been that badly neglected. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Being of both Scot and Hessian ancestry, I do not squeak when I walk, it just sounds like it, I have a Hopkins and Allen .36 Dixie cleared out for $20 in 1970, a CVA buckhorn .45 mag on sale for $58 and a .50 CVA bobcat , clearance at $52 , all three shoot quite well, much better than I expected.
H&A , 1 1/2" at 50 yd with ball and 30gr 777.
.45 Mag, 200 REAL bullet and 100gr eqv. 777, 1 1/4 " at 50 yd sideways, 3" up and down due to the v front sight, hard for me to hold a good sight picture with a v front, actually an inverted v, as I have shot bead on post front sights almost exclusively for over 50 years and am just too old to change over.
.50 bobcat, first time out, 2x3" at 50 yd with 250gr REAL bullet and 75gr 777, soldered a 2mm silver ball on front sight[ factory was another inverted v front], 1 1/2x 2" at 50 yd next time.
Just my experience, but I have decent results with all of them, of course, I am not a bench rest shooter, just shoot for pleasure and as a challenge to overcome my shakes, past 60 and having eye and steady problems.
Happy shooting and don't spend more than you have to!
Don