ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Harpers Ferry Musket roars after 151 years!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harpers Ferry Musket roars after 151 years!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got a call from my BP 'smith and for the first time in 151 years my Harpers Ferry 1848 .69 cal musket has been fired! It had a wad of patching and powder residue packed into the breech and he cleared it after removing the seized/shattered nipple. I'll be firing it next week and can't wait! This musket was given to me by my late father who was gifted it by a former retired Army Horse Cav. Col. in 1948. The stock had a cross carved in it and the story was that it was recovered from a battlefield where it was used as a grave marker. This makes sense as there was significant corrosion in the first 18 in. of the barrel and the remainder bright due to it being embedded in the soil by the muzzle. It's a good story anyway! I'm just glad it is a useful firearm again.

Posts: 3683 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, don't worry I'll post as soon as I get my mitts on it!
quote:
Originally posted by akalinin:
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I finally got to shoot it today! I loaded up some patch and round ball and put 5 rounds down range. At 25 yds it was dead on the front sight set at just above the breech(no rear sight so it's like shooting a shotgun). Put 5 rounds in 5 inches standing. I'm pleased. Pics to follow. Now to get the Sharps Carbine back in shape.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures of this Puuuhhlezze Wink .

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote