ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Help with sighting in ballistics on A & H 420.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with sighting in ballistics on A & H 420.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As usual I have been to too busy to get to a decent range to sight in my Austin & Halleck. The BP season starts a week from today and the only range I will have access to is a 50yd range.

The A&H is 50cal., has a 26" barrel. I have a 1x4.75 scope mounted, center of crosshairs are 1.5" over the line of bore. I'll be shooting Barnes 300g saboted expanders with 2 Cleanshot or Pyrodex pellets.

I know that for most modern rifles, generally speaking, 2" high @ 100 yds will put you about dead on @ 200 yds.

Considering my setup, where should my POI be @50yds to get the best range from the gun. I'm hunting NY woods so almost all shots will be 100yds and under.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have the same gun, I shoot 250 grain TC shockwave bullets. I pick these up at walmart, they are the same bullet as the hornaday SST but the shockwaves load easier. I use 100 grains of pyrodex RS. RWS 1075 #11's This gives me groups right at MOA. Basically a ragged hole at 50 yards. My gun also shoots 240 grain PR deadcenters really well about 3/4 MOA but these are $1 a peice. The shockwaves are nearly half that. and MOA is way more accuracy than you can use with a ML. best I can tell and just a stab in the dark, sight in 2" high and this should be about a 125-130 yard zero, with the combo I listed above. The only thing that sucks about these ML's is the excessive blowback on your scope and bolt. I am gonna do an upgrade that uses primed 32 H&R brass as a primer carrier. You can see it on the A&H site.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote