Find
Notify
Tools

BIG Bore muzzle loaders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Im really getting an itch for a BIG bore muzzle loader. Ideally Id like something like a 4 bore (well really a 2 bore, but I could be happy with a 4 bore). The last one I saw was new and being sold for over $5000. That seems a bit expensive to me; but I'll admit they dont show up often at any price.

Besides those, Ive seen the Kodiak 72 caliber Double Rifle and the Gibbs single shot 72 caliber. Ive heard some pros and frankly more cons about the Kodiak DR; but nothing much about the Gibbs.

Id like to use them for a Wild Boar hunt in the US and then in Africa on Lion and Plains Game. In the States Id have a pistol (maybe a Howdah) as a back up, In Africa the PH would have to agree to my "insanity"

Anybody have any experience with really big bore muzzle loaders?

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an 8 bore built by Steve Zhin. I really enjoyed it and killed a couple of deer and pigs with it. It was not bad to shoot at all. Get one, I think you'll like it. Go to Nitroexpress.com and do a search. lots of good info there.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Kodiak Safari, high grade. I have owned two others, one a lower grade .58-caliber, and a N.I.B. higher grade Safari as "back-up."

1. Higher grade is definitely worth its premium.

2. I have used ONLY conical balls in all Kodiaks. I have never used patched RBs.

3. The two Kodiaks I have fired had/have uniformly excellent accuracy and consistency among three shooters. This was unexpected because I am 68 inches, 140 pounds, left-handed. Shooter #2 is 72 inches, 220 pounds, right-handed. Shooter #3 is 74 inches, 185 pounds, left-handed.

4. Because I wanted to ensure that the second barrel would not become dangerous via its projectile being jarred toward muzzle because of recoil, I had custom bullet molds made, REQUIRING mallet loading. Safari's bullet is 775 grains dropped at 30:1. Rate of twist will accept heavier-longer bullets, but . . .

5. Kodiak dual rear sight is an abomination.

6. My first shot - 150 grains FFg, CCI #11 magnum cap, my bullet - bruised my arm from clavicle to beneath my elbow. The rifle went immediately to my gunsmith. Pachmayr English pad, stock fit improved, trigger job on right lock, Pedersoli's rear sight removed (cover screws installed), Brockman's W&E adjustable wing-protected aperture rear sight installed on top rib at breech. Exterior changes improved the rifle's appearance substantially - which also surprised me. I was interested only in improving its shootability.

The rifle is shootable with my regulated load for 16 shots, the most I have fired in one session. From a rest unsupported the rifle prints overlapping two-shot group at 50 yards, opening to 3-4 inches at 85 yards. I have not shot at longer ranges.
Would I recommend a Kodiak Safari? I absolutely recommend the higher grade. Lower grade is false economy. Fit and finish need work although I found my .58-caliber to be comparably consistent and accurate after I invested in bringing it to where I wanted.

Safari NEEDS its steel butt plate to be replaced with a recoil pad. The Pachmayr black English pad does two jobs extremely well: Aesthetics improve significantly; recoil becomes reasonable (when/if using conical balls and heavier than standard charges).

Pedersoli's dual rear sight is usable - that is, rifle shoots to sights' points of impact. But using each leaf to zero one of the barrels, then needing to flip-flop them for your second shot is silly. And the sight assembly, to me, is unattractive.

Sorry for the information overload. Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Get a Zouave 58 cal ! Will drop an elephant .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin Stolzer is the gunsmith to contact regarding big bore muzzleloaders. I have one of his 2 bore cartridge rifles--a single shot weighing 22 lbs. I'm using 350 gr. of Goex 2f with a 3500 grain rounfd ball which is managable. I'veshot it several times with a 500 gr charge and the recoil does get your attention. These 2 bores try to twist you around and can be hard on one's lower back. That being said, if one does not go crazy and load it to the point where a serious injury could result, they are fun to shoot. I've shot 6 rounds at a time with a 350 gr. load and that was euough for one day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this a while back in the big bore forum. My 4 bore is a parts rifle I put together for about $500 (10+ years ago) using an underhammer action that does not seem to be available any more.

Shooting a light weight 4 bore muzzle loader with hefty charges of black powder (14lb rifle, 350 gr black powder and a 4oz ball) is interesting. Reading the old African hunting stories convinces me that some of those men were made of tougher stuff than most of us. It's been a while but I remember thinking that 250 ft lbs of recoil was a good place to stop.

I think an 8 bore would make a much better all around hunting rifle for a big bore muzzleloader.

4 BORE Video

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, agree an 8-bore would make more sense.
Like Naphtali, I have played with the Pedersoli Kodiaks in .58 and .72. I found the .72 with a 735 Fosbery type conical from an NEI mold controllable over 150 grains Fg, and quite shootable over 120 grains FFg. Also played with patched round balls.
The Kodiaks have enough meat out front to soak up a lot of the recoil.
Seems someone had found a way to mount a peep from New England Custom Guns on the Kodiaks. May have to to try that when my latest .58 arrives.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is posted on Track of the Wolf website. It appears to be a quality rifle......needs a set of sights added http://www.trackofthewolf.com/...l.aspx/487/1/AAL-509

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowstone:
This is posted on Track of the Wolf website. It appears to be a quality rifle......needs a set of sights added http://www.trackofthewolf.com/...l.aspx/487/1/AAL-509

Good lord......

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are often originals sold by people like Holts in London.

A single damascas 6 bore Hollis and Son caplock went for US$700. - It was an 'interesting' gun to fire.

Decent 8 bores are not that expensive - and having fired bigger- you don't want - or need them.

An 8 bore rifle made for round ball does for well on anything except elephant. For anything above 8 bore you need a smooth bore and accuracy is ussually 'minute of elephant' at 25 yards...they do work though.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lodgewood has a Kodiak with a set of shotgun barrels with it; I think it is .58. I had one once but sold it. It had a big lead weight in the butt and needed it.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I own a Jim Gefroh eight bore. Last I spoke with him, he had retired, but that may have changed. He makes a very nice weapon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im interested in the 8 bore muzzleloader ,October country had them ,[on my bucketlist is to try an 8 bore on big game ],October country has the single barrel at $5000.00 odd dollars, which seems alot, but then you dont see them everyday .Anyone own one ? used one ? or a double ? they seem to have amazing ability on big game ,from Samuel Baker, with three ounce round ball , penetrated both shoulders of a water buffalo then another buffalo and killed both ,incredible !!! try that with a 375 H and H

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iv been doing alot of research on 8 and 4 bores and barrels and parts and will be getting a 4 bore from joe at http://www.thegunworks.com/ and at a damn good price around 4500 in a english sporting rifle configuration

Posts: 48 | Location: ft st john bc | Registered: 28 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always wanted the Navy Arms short rifle, its handy and 58 caliber..Hard to find one, but if you do they aren't too expensive...They just feel good, and are very shooter friendly considering..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I have a as new Kodiak .58 Double I would sell for $620 shippped! Pics avail....Tom

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote