New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Cast Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am new to smoke poles, and was wondering if anyone has used any hard cast bullets? I'm looking at some 300 grain Laser cast 45/70 bullets with sabots in my 50 cal. Knight rifle. These bullets are 0.459", and the sabots are for 0.458" bullets. Will this work???
Bulldog...

Posts: 141 | Location: Ruston, Louisiana | Registered: 09 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Ought to work OK.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Will this work???

For what?

I don't know exactly how you want to use them nor what these bullets were designed for, but if they were made for shooting at targets at pistol velecity, they may fragment when shot at large game at bp rifle velocity.

I would never use hard cast lead of any kind with black powder, but that's just me. Anything harder than 16:1 is way too hard for anything I do. I much prefer pure lead on game and you could do this easily with sabots esp. Pure lead will not fragment. It will expand though.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hummmmm, lets see,... if these bullets were for a 45/70, which is a smokless round, and load data tells me that a 300 grain bullet can be pushed out to 1800 fps in the old trapdoor guns, and a lot faster in a Marlin levergun, and the Ruger Single shot.....hummmmm, YES THESE BULLETS WILL NOT FRAGMENT... These bullets were designed to kill LARGE animals. It has a LARGE medplate which will open a nice LARGE wound channel, plus break any and all bones along the way.
And, being closer to the 50 cal. dia., which I'm told is a good thing for accuracy.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ruston, Louisiana | Registered: 09 September 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I am new to smoke poles, and was wondering if anyone has used any hard cast bullets? I'm looking at some 300 grain Laser cast 45/70 bullets with sabots in my 50 cal. Knight rifle. These bullets are 0.459", and the sabots are for 0.458" bullets. Will this work???
Bulldog...

Should work! Try it! i have used some Cast Performance 265-grain .452's in sabots in a .54 cal. Kodiak. These are very hard bullets, but they worked O.K. in the 1/66" twist of the Kodiak. Probably because they are very short. These are G.C. bullets, BTW!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hummmmm, lets see,... if these bullets were for a 45/70,

If these bullets were for a .45-70, they would be .457" or better in diameter. .452s are for .45 Colt pistols.

Hunting bullets for a .45-70 are always soft.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my first post:

Quote:

These bullets are 0.459", and the sabots are for 0.458" bullets. Will this work???

Call Buffalo Bore bullets and tell them their bullets are soft....

Check this site on the 45/70 Hammerhead bullets...

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/420.asp