ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Re: Anyone shooting tradition flintlock?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone shooting tradition flintlock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
I would not buy a Traditions anything but particularly not a flintlock. It seems to me that every person I know who has a Traditions gets something else just as soon as they can and has problems with it as long as they have it. A flintlock is even more critical in regards to geometry and heat treatment. A TC is easily worth the difference in price just for reliability.

As to accuracy, well, I don't know as some have described great accuracy that isn't when you see actual targets. I think most (not all) users have lower expectations of accuracy.

That's my experience as I learned early on with other guns and knew "better" than to get a Traditions.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might want to take a look at the Austin & Halleck rifles. Not cheap but very nice. Held one last week when I made a trip to Cabela's in PA. They sure are purty. Look here http://www.austinhalleck.com/AH-Mountain.html .

Posts: 58 | Location: Charlotte,NC,USA | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has a Traditions Deerhunter cap lock, and it shoots as good as any muzzleloader out there. That said I do not like the barrel heavy feel and cheep stalk. From what I have heard about flinters, go with the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I have a Lyman Deerstalker cap lock, and love the rifle. It is well built and a joy to carry, and has served me very well for the last 12 years or so.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Buy a Lyman, I had a Traditions percussion it was a piece of crap, I sold it and bought a Lyman Great Planes Rifle.

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a CVA flintlock .45 caliber that I shoot and enjoy, but it's not the best quality. I have had to replace some screws because they bugger up so bad. I still enjoy shooting a flintlock and would love to have a good one..

Posts: 88 | Location: Lexington, Ky | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not considered Traditions for anything since reading a review a few years back which said the steel on their revolvers is soft. Does that mean a problem exists with the rest of the product line...maybe, maybe not.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Track Of The Wolf. Look under "coming soon".

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote