ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Best Squirrel rifle for the money?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Squirrel rifle for the money?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I know this is a matter of opinion, not of absolute fact, but which squirrel rifle do you guys think is the best buy these days? (That is, .40 caliber or smaller...) And while we're talking caliber, which do you prefer, .32, .36, .375, or .40?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can shoot our deer with a rifled .40 so I'd be inclined to carry one instead of anything smaller just in case a perfect shot on a target of opportunity presented itself. Otherwise, finding a bore size that let a fella shoot a common buckshot size would be a big plus. With a pea rifle a bag of buck might last a lifetime (depending on a fella's age and number of squirrels in the neighborhood, of course). So, are you buying or building? Flint or caplock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caplock. I'll be building, I think...but maybe from a kit if such are still sold in squirrel rifle size.

The last one I bought/made was in 1972, and was one of Turner Kirkland's kits. It was a .32, if I recall correctly...anyway, it shot patched buckshot quite well enough to pick pigeons off of the barn roof regularly. Never actually used it on squirrels up there in northern Alberta. Don't even remember having seen any tree squirrels there.

Am just looking for some fun shooting. My serious BP rifle is a .58 round-ball gun called Nefertiti.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Caplock. I'll be building, I think...but maybe from a kit if such are still sold in squirrel rifle size.
You didn't ask but I've had good experiences with Track of the Wolf www.trackofthewolf.com when it comes to buying the parts to build blackpowder guns. They list parts for .32 or .36 Bedford County or Southern Mountain Rifles in caplock. Hmmn, they'll also sell you a .40 drop-in barrel for a Lyman Great Plains rifle. It would run a little heavy but it might save a fella a few dollars and be easier than building.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
You didn't ask but I've had good experiences with Track of the Wolf www.trackofthewolf.com when it comes to buying the parts to build blackpowder guns. They list parts for .32 or .36 Bedford County or Southern Mountain Rifles in caplock. Hmmn, they'll also sell you a .40 drop-in barrel for a Lyman Great Plains rifle. It would run a little heavy but it might save a fella a few dollars and be easier than building.

Thank you very much...good, handy, info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck:
I prefer dealing with Dick Greensides a Pecatonica:
http://www.longrifles-pr.com
Dick makes a lot of the stocks for Track. He's reasonable, he's fast and he's a good guy. I had an unpleasant experience with Track's owner.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank for the advice & "heads-up", Bill, I'll proceed with all due caution as I go.

AC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Dixie still offering their Tennessee Poor Boy in .36 caliber? I had a flinchlock for about five years, traded it for the Lewis & Tomes ML Shotgun I have now. The Dixie was a very nice rifle.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Alberta Canuck:
I prefer dealing with Dick Greensides a Pecatonica:
http://www.longrifles-pr.com
Dick makes a lot of the stocks for Track. He's reasonable, he's fast and he's a good guy. I had an unpleasant experience with Track's owner.

I'll echo Bill's endorsement of Pecatonica. Great folks to work with and will often do custom stuff, like rough inlet for a particular lock to save you time & skint knuckles. Track won't/can't do that. I still buy some stuff from Track, but it seems they've gone up in price & down in service in the past couple years. Last month I ordered some parts from Track & a (pistol) Barrel from Pec on the same day. The barrel shipped was the wrong size and I shipped it back & they replaced it. The new one arrived BEFORE the parts I had ordered from Track arrived. They're one state away from Pec.
I also make it a point to stop in on my trips from FL to WI and visit and scrounge in their stock racks. They are always very accomodating.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote