New
Find
Notify
Tools

.50-90??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering building a 50-90 (or 50-70, if the 90 is too long) on a Martini action. I'm looking for general shooting type info. Not so much loading info, but things like suggested barrel length, overall weight, recoil levels, etc... For BP use, of course..

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a Martini Enfield in 40/65 with a 30" Badger barrel (#3 profile octagonal). Mated with the slab sided martini it looks a million dollars. The stock recess at the back of the action can be milled to about 1/2 of its current depth to move the curvature of the pistol grip closer to the trigger and at the same time weld a tang to the action to accept a creedmore sight base.
The breech block had previously been fitted with a dovetail but I made a new piece and reduced the firing pin size.
Martini triggers can be tricky but with some stoning I have a 1.5lb pull with no creep.
Finished weight is just 10.5 lbs which is just right for offhand shooting with this cartridge. I also have a 12.5lb Sharps in 50/70 which is also mild to fire by virtue of it's greater weight.
If a lot of offhand shooting is required I would limit o/a weight to about 11.5lbs.
In my 50/70 I can only fit 62gn of Swiss with grease cookies and card wads so your choice of 50/90 is better with an expected load of around 83gn for approx 1300fps.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr P. I have a Pedersoli 1874 long range model, 34" barrel, shotgun butt, 12 3/4 pounds, 50-90. Not too bad for recoil with smokeless, stout recoil with 98 grains 2F, a little less with 98 grains 1F. Loaded length in my gun works out to 3.09 inches with the Lee bullet, a little less with the 515141 lyman. Lotsa fun, but I wouldn't want it lighter. I'm not into the BPCR games so I plan to shorten the barrel to 28", put a pound or so of lead in the butt, and shoot groundhogs (steel) out to 300 yds. I use a recoil shield. I think a heavily loaded highwall 45-70 has more recoil. Still working on refining my shooting/loading practices, gun will likely shoot under 2" if I can do so. New to 50-90, but not the rest of this hobby, PM if you like. Good Shooting, ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAW:
If possible I would REALLY like to see a picture of the tang setup on your rifle. I was considering doing that. I want to use "Express" sights, but with my "plastic eyeballs" (cataract surgery) I can't really see to shoot with open vee sights. I can still use a peep fairly well, however.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GnL:
You have a PM...

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a followup on the 50-90:
I made a dummy barrel stub with a piece of pipe and a wood insert "chambered" for the cartridge. It appears the 50-90 will "turn the corner" with no problem, so it looks like it's feasable...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Traditionally, BP target rifles had rather long barrels. This was to add weight and also because of the early shooting positions that were used. Often the shooter laid on their back or side with their feet toward the target. The muzzle would rest on the foot. The normal BP rifle had a longish barrel by today's standards, 30"+. This is to allow all the BP to burn in the barrel.

The Martini action should be just fine. Done right, it would be a very nice rig.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr P,
I don't have a digital camera to take photo but I'll have my son (Smart Ass Wallace) scan a normal photo and email. It may take a few days cos he is away on Xmas holidays untill mid January.
You are right, 50/90 will fit the Martini with no problems.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking foward to it... In the meantime-what type of tang sight is it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The tang sight is the same as fits the Pedersoli rolling block (USA455)