ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    What lead composite for casting?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What lead composite for casting?
 Login/Join

<OTTO>
posted
What mixture of lead and other components do you use when casting bullets for killing deer? What molds do you use? I am shooting a .50 with 1-28" twist.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For black powder, use pure lead.

Now if I could only find a local source for myself.... Midsouth and Midway have 7.7 pound ingots for about $8.50, but the shipping has to be a killer.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Start looking at the "local" junk yard. Most scrap metal yards have some lead lying around ready to go home with someone for a reasonable price.

You may well be able to use some of the harder lead alloys (wheel weight) but not likely, depending on your barrel it may next to impossible to get them rammed home against the powder.

My fast twist barrel did NOT like anything I tried other than sabots and I tried bullets that I had cast and used with other guns to some degree of success. Of course it will shoot 210 grain 44 bullets, but spreads 240s everywhere. Likes the 250 Hornady plastic tipped bullet in Nosler sabots also! GOOD TOO, because I bought 500 of them from LS&B bullet sale!

LouisB

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote