Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BP Subsitute
 Login/Join

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I have shot BP for over 20 years and have never used a subsitute. I am running out of places to get real BP, so I might have to switch. What about the new ones out there like Clear Shot, 777, etc? Any of these have that beloved sulfer smell? I still will use the real stuff until I cant get it no more.

NO!! You have to burn real BP to smell like a sewer pipe!!

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Ah Graf's Swiss Black Powder - $US17.99/lb tin. We buy it in Australia in 1Kg plastic bottles $US52.60 but no supplies now till June.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, Pyrodex comes close in the smell department. I'm still not sure if good ol' Pyro P isn't my favorite sub. Haven't tried Clean Shot but have tried the Clear - it sucks if you live in a humid area. T7 is potent and gives good consistency but also comes with its own set of problems.

For a sampling of subs, I would buy a can of Pyro P or RS and a can of FFg T7 loose. T7 has an acrid, acidic odor in the smoke that dang near chokes me if it blows back on me. Doesn't last long but it gets my attention.

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At a match last year, quite a few were shooting T7, the smell reminded me of the Black Canyon powder that was popular about eight years ago then dissappered. I tried the Black Canyon but didnt like it, I dont remember why. I'll just have to order a bunch of Goex from Grafs and stash it.
I will pick up a jar of Pyodex and give it a try.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot nothing but pyrodex pellets in my 209x50 Encore. A 295 grain powerbelt over two 50 grain pellets cuts cloverleafs at 50 yards even with the horrible sights the factory slaps on this otherwise trouble free rifle. Pyrodex is a little stinky but nothing compares to real blackpowder. I plan to try 777 pellets one of these days too. Good hunting! McB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drive down to Jays Sporting Goods in Gaylord or Franks Outdoor World in Hastings. Both should have the real black.

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote