New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Groups
 Login/Join

<Reddman>
posted
I have a Traditions Crocket 32cal that I cannot get to group no matter what I do. I've tried Clear Shot powder with loads from 20 to 45 grains and now am trying Pyrodex P at 20 to 45 grains. The spent patches look real good and I don't see any blowby.
Does anyone have any suggestions? My best group so far is about 7" at 50 yards.

<ChuckD>
posted
Try regular black powder, fffg, in same loadings. You are using roundballs since you are patching--right? I like RWS caps, and hotshot nipples. I was hoping you were going to say you had torn patches, but...I would use a paste of j-b bore cleaner and your normal vegetable grease, and polish the bore. I would make certain that the crown on your barrel is not damaged. I would experiment with patch thickness. You are right, this is poor accuracy, and you may have a bad barrel....Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might want to make sure your wedge pin is a snug fit and the barrel fits securely in the stock.

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<whisler>
posted
Keep in mind, the 32 and 36 take a little more work than a .50 in my opinion.

Good advice from others.
1. Try different patch thickness.
2. After you have found the best, start
working on type of lube. I actually use a
water soluble oil.
3. Then start playing with powder weight
Note: please don't do all this at once, work with one at a time and keep good records.

I was having problems with my .54 throwing a ball 2 feet low and 1 foot to right. Next 4 to five shots, on the money.. Weigh your round balls. Find the heavy and set aside any that weigh under a grain less. I have culled up to 50%. My .54 now shoots into a 4 inch circle at 100 yrds (TC Hawken) with original barrel and sights.

Take your time, reduce the variables and enjoy yourself.

<ChuckD>
posted
Well Reddman, What is your progress on this problem--keep us posted...Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redman,

You also want to be careful with how much lube you are placing on the patch. Too much lube and the patch may not be adequately grabbing the rifling. Are you swabbing between shots? Small bores are very fussy about fouling. More so than larger bores. Fouling buildup may be causing uneven pressure on the ball as it moves within the bore resulting in pore accuracy.

Lets also look at this from another angle ... That being the sights. How much light do you have arround the front sight when lining it up in the rear sight notch? You want enough that you can clearly see the sides of the front sight. This light arround the sight allows your eye to center the front sight. If you have very little or no light your eye can not properly center the front sight causing sighting errors. Too little light causes the front sight to appear fuzzy as your eye blends the edges with the sides of the rear sight. The rear sight notch should also be tapered with the wider part toward the front sight. This prevents mirrage from the sides of the notch affecting sighting. I always end up modifying factory rear sights to accomodate my eyes.

As previously mentioned when altering load development keep good notes and change only one factor at a time.

Keep us posted.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had a similar problem with my T/C Hawkin 50. Since I've had and shot the gun for a number of years with excellent results it was especially frustrating to stop getting good groups. Almost got to the point that I figured the barrel was "shot out" and was going to turn it into a wall hanger. What finally worked for me was a thinner, pre lubed T/C patch (vice bed ticking) over a 50 cal. felt wad. Also started giving the barrel a wipe with an alcohol dampened patch between shots.

Posts: 9 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote