ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Ruger old army what bullets do you use and powder

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger old army what bullets do you use and powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wanting to try triple 7 powder in my Ruger old army and a better bullet than a round ball.What bullets will work in this gun?The cap is the limiting factor in this strongest of all muzzleloading pistol.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly shoot the roundball however I did get a box of Buffalo Bullet Co. round nose .457 bullets and gave them a short try. They were very accurate and at 190 gr. may serve your needs.
Now the bad news. When I tried to get more I found that Buffalo Bullet had ceased production. I do not know if they are back into production or if these bullets continue to be available. I went back to round ball and do not hunt with the handgun so have not pursued the need.

Product number is 45050 if it helps.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ROA shoots fine with any bullet designed for the 45 ACP or 45 Colt. It really likes H&G #68. Cast them from soft lead, lube with good BP lube, size to .454" and you're set. I do use a loading press setup to load the cylinders, it's too hard to load conicals straight using the gun's rammer. Keep in mind the sights regulate with balls. Heavy conicals won't hit to the same point of aim. They'll go really high if you use very heavy ones. As for powder, I never tried anything but real black powder. I guess T7 would work if you can get it to ignite. Should give a bit more power. Enjoy!

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Trip 7 and Lee mold .457 will do best

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with bullets from MONTANA BULLET WORKS,Billings, MT. Good selection and very good quality control.

There are three ways to place an order but Dave has always called back to confirm what I wanted and even made helpful suggestions. I really like the personal touch.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize
they can bribe the people with their own money."

- Alexis de Tocqueville (1805–1859)

Posts: 1 | Location: Newtown, PA | Registered: 13 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee makes a mold specifically for the old army, their 456-220

This is a 220grain Round nose

Of course you'll need a supply of soft lead...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote