New
Find
Notify
Tools

which one?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a thompson flintlock and hunt with it during the regular ML season here in PA.
I was looking at some cheap CVA 209 guns just to play with. I'm not sure of the models, but they are exactly the same model except for the action. One is a bolt style, that is spring loaded. the second has a small knurled peg that operates the action by sliding back and forth.
Can anyone explain the benifits of either of these actions over the other. The bolt stlye looks more durable, but I know nothing about inlines. Thanks.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You already have the best there is! The flint is the longest enduring firing mechanism of all time. Long live the rocklock. Try one of them that break open like a NEF, they have the 209 ignition. Very reasonable price.

Posts: 56 | Location: Howard City, Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't really use this gun for hunting here, and I really love the old hawkens, I was just looking for something diferent to plick with. They are selling these two models for $95.00. I figured that I might pick one up just to play.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
chadr, you can't use it during the MUZZLELOADER season, but you sure can use it during the regular firearm deer season! And, since here in PA we rarely get long shots, or more than one shot per deer, why not use it?? I do!!

P.S. Just checked the current PA weapons regs. You can use ANY muzzleloader of .44 cal. or larger during the October antlerless season, and scopes are also legal during that season....

[ 11-19-2003, 00:06: Message edited by: eldeguello ]