New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unhappy with my new Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got around to installing scope bases on my gun last night, and found that the screw holes are too far back, and the bases are too close together.

I want to put my Leupold VX II 3-9 on it, and the eye piece hangs right over the hammer, so I can't pull the hammer back now.

I can't get the scope forward far enough without redrilling the holes.

If I used a standard 4x Leupold, I can make the scope fit, but the front base needs to be moved forward to look much better.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I have had the same scope on a win long action (same receiver, I think?). You have to use the 2 piece offset bases, at least the rear is offset (I used the leopold ones) and "flip" the rear base around so that the ring mount is forward of the base screws. I hope I said that plain enough? It works and the base doesn't interfere with feeding the action.

Posts: 33 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, Marlin has a hammer extention that would work for your application. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have had the same scope on a win long action (same receiver, I think?).

Winchester Muzzleloading is a division of BPI which owns CVA and New Frontier muzzleloading brands. There's nothing "Winchester" about Winchester Muzzleloaders exept the name. They are higher priced CVA guns.

Posts: 45 | Location: Perry, IL | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I want to put my Leupold VX II 3-9 on it, and the eye piece hangs right over the hammer, so I can't pull the hammer back now.

If I used a standard 4x Leupold, I can make the scope fit, but the front base needs to be moved forward to look much better.

Handsome is as handsome does. Who needs a 3X-9X scope on a muzzleloader? 4X is more than plenty! I've used 2.5X and 4X's on ML's now since 1969, and have never needed more magnification!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolf,

Oh, well, now you know why they call me "slopoke". I thought it was like remington's bolt action muzzleloader. Figures.

Posts: 33 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, only Remington, Ruger, and Savage offer muzzleloaders based on their CF designs. That's excluding T/C and NEF which just make muzzleloading barrels for their firearms.

Winchester Muzzleloading is really an anomally among muzzleloading manufacturers. They are a muzzleloading company (BPI) which has just licenced the Winchester name to put on their imported rifles.

Posts: 45 | Location: Perry, IL | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote