ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Percussion Cap Troubleshooting Question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Percussion Cap Troubleshooting Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two blackpowder rifles. One is a Model 700 Rem and the other is a CVA percussion. I have had the same problem with both rifles. Ocassionally, the cap will not fire on the first hammer drop and I must recock and fire again for the cap to fire. I have tried to put the cap on the nipple as tightly as possible but sometimes even this does not make a difference. I am currently using CCI #11 caps. Could it possible be the caps or possibly the nipple. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posts: 232 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple things first. Your percussion caps are not fully seated on your nipple. As most don't, leaving a slight gap between the nipple and the cap anvil. First blow seats it on the anvil and the second blow detonates it. Simply chuck your nipple in drill and slowly remove enough material with emery cloth until you have a perfect fit between cap and nipple.

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replys. I did two things to fix this minor malfunction. First, I polished the nipple with 600 grit paper and second, I changed to Remington caps. Have not had a failure to fire since. Thanks.

Posts: 232 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same problem with both rifles.

jesilva

Have-had is past tense... does that mean one rifle has been cured?

Usually a weak cap like regular CCIs will be the culprit. Always buy the mag #11s .. in this case CCI Mag caps.

Fortunately, troubleshooting the problem starts off cheap by first replacing your regular CCIs with CCI Mags, Remingtons or RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075s. The Nobels seem to fit best in all my sidehammers & also fire best too.

If the problem persists... the next troubleshoot is cheap too. Replace your nipples but don't buy standard ones... buy Red Hots, Hot Shots or Splifires. I use nothing but Splifires.

If that troubleshoot doesn't fix it, examine the lock assembly on your sidelock --- clean & lightly oil if necessary. Hopefully, you've been constantly removing the bolt-action on your Remington. I know! - I know!... doing so is a real pain in the butt & that's one of the reasons Remington is getting out of making muzzleloaders... not enough repeat customers or satisfied buyers that complained of difficult cleaning chores with their ML.

Anyways, if you haven't been completely removing that action, you better start now because it may slowing the speed by which it slams shut & fires the cap. In alot of cases where shooters only spray-cleaned their actions, rust developed.... in a few cases... injuries developed when the action came out in pieces because of rust.

Check that action --- either clean or replace -- then use light oil when re-installing, That should fix your firing problems.

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote